Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Seeking Radiant Heat Recommendations for a Bathroom

Options
kriskoeller
kriskoeller Member Posts: 5
Hi,

We're planning to renovate two full bathrooms in our condo in NYC, and would like to install radiant heat flooring in each.

The flooring is either going to be marble or porcelain tile. Given the small size and constraints of being in a condo, I would presume these radiant systems would be electric.

My questions:

1. Any preferred providers/vendors for an electric radiant heat system?
2. Are these timer-controlled, switch-controlled, thermostat controlled?
3. Any reason I would regret installing this?
4. Anything else I should know?

thanks in advance!

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Electric resistance floor heating is a great option for bathrooms that works even in cases where utility costs discourage its use for general space heating.

Bathrooms typically represent a tiny fraction of the overall square footage to be heated.

When given the option, the overwhelming majority of customers will choose a warmer bathroom over a cooler one. We usually design for 76-78°F there and have yet to have a complaint. When the hydronic system supplies a micro-zone consisting of solely bathrooms, the boiler or heatpump has to run for many additional hours every year.

Low voltage mat systems with integrated time/temperature controllers are my preference.
    Mark Eathertonkriskoeller
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,141
    Options
    I have installed some of these systems, a few, including my sisters are about 15 years old with no problems.

The mats were weaved not far from me in Missouri, it may have moved south of the border recently.

http://www.suntouch.com
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    kriskoeller
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I commonly recommend them over hydronics for one off situations. Generally speaking, it gives the consumer a good taste of the warm floor comfort concept, and then when it comes time for them to build, they realize the comfort and cost is not as much a detractor.

As for type/brands, if it were me, I think I'd probably go with either a plastic film type, or the brass screen type. These are both essentially parallel grids that are not as susceptible to element failure or installation damage than a single series type of heat tape system would be.

Most competent electric radiant floor manufacturers have aligned themselves with a good control manufacturer that includes not only a room air temperature sensor, but also a good slab sensor.

Heatizon makes the brass screen.

Warmfloor.com makes the plastic film type. Both need to be installed by a licensed electrical contractor.

Say good bye to fogged up mirrors...

Good call Kurt.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
    kriskoeller
  • kriskoeller
    kriskoeller Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks, all. Sounds like I'm on the right track. Appreciate the feedback.

Best, Kris
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,141
    Options
    Regardless of which brand you decide on, get a thermostat that has a floor sensor and setback program, in addition to the air sensor. It is easy to set back a small tile system like that.

With the floor sensor you can idle the floor and use the setback function to ramp it up 30 minutes before you get up, etc.

The floor sensor function allows you to chose either a low temperature, never to drop below, or a high temperature, not to exceed, very handy for summertime use.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    kriskoeller