Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is it unsafe to use a steam boiler with a hole above water line for a few days?

Options
Joseph_4
Joseph_4 Member Posts: 271
I have a customer who has a steam boiler that has been blowing out white smoke or vapor out of the chimney I filled it up cuz I suspected a leak and sure enough about halfway up the water line the water starts to pour out he has been using the boiler in the last few weeks with the hole there. Is it unsafe to operate the boiler with the whole for a few days until I can get him a replacement I'm thinking the worst case scenario is if the whole gets a little bigger it will either put out the standing pilot or he could have a lot of water in his basement. Are there other safety concerns the hole seems to be in the back of the boiler. If I leave it to the level of the automatic feed no water leaks out. Let me know what you think
Thank
Joe
HHI Services

Comments

• Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
    Options
    As long as you tested the low water cutoff and it works then you can let it be for a couple of days....if it was me i would leave it off because i wouldnt want to be liable if anything does happen. ..like a flood or someone getting burned from steam
    ASM Mechanical Company
    Located in Staten Island NY
    Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
    347-692-4777
    ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,973
    Options
    There is possibility of improper draft due to steam in chimney and in between boiler sections. There is also possibility of damage to chimney due to excess moisture. Would not think that either of above are likely but they are possible. Inform customer and let them decide.
  • trueblue
    trueblue Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Boiler won't go off on pressure and could overheat. Check chimney for any damage, who knows how long its been going up the stack.