Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Debris, Weil McLain Ultra

heidleml
heidleml Member Posts: 34
I've attached a photo of debris from a mixing valve on a 10 year old heating system. 4 radiant floor zones, 2 hydronic coil zones, DHW Plus 80 storage tank. Boiler is a WM Ultra 155. The homeowner is an engineer and is pretty comfortable around the boiler. He takes the mixing valve inlet apart every other week and cleans out this debris. He flushed the system with Sentinel X400 after collecting the sample below, however he is still accumulating this material. It is all collecting on the low point of the supply trunk. He hasn't reported any debris on the boiler drain on the bottom of the DHW tank. Any thoughts, prior experience, and solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    Wow that's a lot of debris and fairly large too. The only thing I can think of its from when they did the install.
  • Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    Was there a water main rupture in the area?
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    How much makeup water is the system using?
  • heidleml
    heidleml Member Posts: 34
    No water main breaks to my knowledge. He reports his domestic water has been fine. Wondering if this could be fragments if aluminum. System has been installed 8+ yrs and this has only recently came about. When mixing valve got clogged he had no heat in a zone. Homeowner estimates 100 gallons in system.