Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Here's To The Unsung Heroes

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 638
edited March 2016 in THE MAIN WALL

imageHere's To The Unsung Heroes

Here's To The Unsung Heroes

Read the full story here

ChrisJ4Johnpipe

Comments

• Hamma112
    Hamma112 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Great Stories Uncle Dan, I remember hearing a lot from my Dad as well. Philly the Torch.
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    They finally finished the Hancock St bridge last year, they had fiddle farted with that for about 3 years. First they closed this lane, then they closed the other lane, back and forth for three YEARS. This spans some railroad tracks and might be 150 ft long.

Things used to be different back when people did their jobs without a lot of back and forth -

The Empire State Building is a 102-story skyscraper located in Midtown Manhattan, New York City, on Fifth Avenue between West 33rd and 34th Streets.
    Height: 1,250′, 1,454′ to tip
    Construction started: March 17, 1930
    Floors: 102
    Opened: May 1, 1931

One year, one month, and 13 days to build a 102 story building! Amazing, simply amazing.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Heating718
    Heating718 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Well written article Uncle Dan!!!! Humanity and pipes revealed in personal stories of my father....very enjoyable!!!!
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • cutter
    cutter Member Posts: 292
    Options
    Three out of that four might not even know what a wheel is, or what it does. Let alone what a trades man is. They most likely have not put in an honest days work in their lives.
  • SteveSteam
    SteveSteam Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Proud member of Enterprise Association of Steamfitters L.U. 638 for 35 years. I had the pleasure of meeting you a few times at your seminars.
  • Hammer
    Hammer Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Awesome article, Dan! I've spent my professional career designing, installing, and maintaining 'the stuff' that goes behind the walls inside buildings and in the trenches leading to/from buildings, and it never ceases to amaze me how 'easy' the trades guys make it look. Especially, when I know darn well that it isn't easy! I can't help myself when I enter a building for the first time and look around for the evidence of the HVAC, plumbing, sprinkler, and lighting systems, and wonder, "How'd they do that?"
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,727
    Options
    BobC said:

They finally finished the Hancock St bridge last year, they had fiddle farted with that for about 3 years. First they closed this lane, then they closed the other lane, back and forth for three YEARS. This spans some railroad tracks and might be 150 ft long.

Things used to be different back when people did their jobs without a lot of back and forth -

The Empire State Building is a 102-story skyscraper located in Midtown Manhattan, New York City, on Fifth Avenue between West 33rd and 34th Streets.
    Height: 1,250′, 1,454′ to tip
    Construction started: March 17, 1930
    Floors: 102
    Opened: May 1, 1931

One year, one month, and 13 days to build a 102 story building! Amazing, simply amazing.

Bob

That's only because the Daleks were behind that project.

:)
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • westbye
    westbye Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Wow, tears in my eyes. What a rich life and so under-appreciated. Raising a glass to the dead men.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,538
    Options
    Thanks to all of you, guys. Glad you liked the telling. It's far easier to write about this than it is to do it. Phil has taught me that, and he has made my life, and my writing, richer, as have the rest of the Halpins.

Everywhere you go, people want to know.
    Who you are. Where you come from.
    And you tell 'em!
    You are the Halpins, the Mighty, Mighty Halpins!

God bless you all.
    Retired and loving it.
    Erin Holohan HaskellRoohollah