Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

NY Times article

Options

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,711
    Options
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • FlyingScotsman
    FlyingScotsman Member Posts: 19
    Options
    That guy is posing with three pipes...I've seen that in a couple of buildings (not ones I was working on, just friends' buildings).

I think we have steam main, condensate return and ???.
    At the base of the stack I saw two separate condensate collection pipe systems; the steam stack drip and the ??? pipe are trapped together into one condensate system, and the condensate return went into another.

I always regret not excusing myself from the 'Look how much storage we have in the new place!' tour and wandering off to find the boiler room...
  • Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
    Options
    Two pipe air vent system?
    ASM Mechanical Company
    Located in Staten Island NY
    Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
    347-692-4777
    ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company
  • FlyingScotsman
    Options
    I thought that was effectively 'one pipe with drains'. What would the third pipe be?
  • FlyingScotsman
    Options
    Thanks abracadabra - I didn't think anyone would see it here under the NY Times heading, so I started that thread.

:smiley:
  • ChicagoCooperator
    ChicagoCooperator Member Posts: 355
    Options
    That TRV is not installed correctly inside the convector enclosure....
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    Actually I think you can see the remote sensor capillary if you look close enough.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    $500 bucks per radiator for a 'cozy', and you have to do the entire building at once...
    Fixing the system would be more cost effective, more energy savings, better comfort and would benefit everyone...except the cozy makers...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

SWEI
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Being from the wrong side of the tracks we just draped an old army blanket over a radiator that overheated the room it was in, that was better than using the double hung thermostat and cost almost nothing in 1955.

Anybody suggesting we pay for something like a radiator cozy would have been laughed out of the house.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge