Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler block surface rust ... an issue?

Options
Jack M
Jack M Member Posts: 229
edited March 2016 in Strictly Steam
The boiler block flash rusted when it was moved to an unheated garage. Do I need to clean this rust off? or can I ignore it? The system was drained and stored for a few weeks while some work was being done and I noticed this rust just the other day. The rust was caused by surface condensation when temperatures changed suddenly. Will the surface rust eventually compromise new block? I've used "stove polish" on cast iron stoves to prevent rust in the off-season but the wax in the stove polish smokes when you first fire the stove up. I can't think of anything else that would protect the boiler without causing issues when I fire it up again. Do all boilers eventually rust on the outside?

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    That's not going to hurt anything. It's just a little surface oxidation. When do you plan to put the boiler back in service?
  • hvacfreak2
    hvacfreak2 Member Posts: 500
    Options
    I unloaded my Megasteam in the rain and it did the same thing. My guess is that they just don't treat them with a lot of oil maybe as an effort to keep oil out of the block. But there are plenty of other things that require concern , a little oxidation is not on that list.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

• Jack M
    Jack M Member Posts: 229
    Options
    good to know there are bigger fish to fry. I could always brush it down and paint it. There must be a good paint for high heat applications such as this.
    I'd like to get to have everything up and running by early fall to work the kinks out.
  • hvacfreak2
    hvacfreak2 Member Posts: 500
    Options
    Insulation and a boiler jacket are the best products to cover that .

But if you are concerned with details here you go. You could also consider polishing and having that block plated as well.

eastwood.com/paints/rust-solutions.html

hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller