Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Varivent? and how much to open the radiator valve?

smoochas
smoochas Member Posts: 7
edited March 2016 in THE MAIN WALL
Hi guys, over the weekend, the varivent control (by heat timer) on our steam heater started to spew hot steam/water from the notch where the slider control bar is. I'm assuming its busted and we just need to replace it? unscrew the old one, wrap a couple rounds of teflon tape on the new one and screw it on?
My other question is we closed the supple valve when this started happening but now we don't know how much to 'open' supply valve (there is just one pipe going to the radiator.) Does how much the supply valve is open relate to how much the varivent control should be set at (the slider bar thingy?)
Thanks!

Comments

• Jason_13
    Jason_13 Member Posts: 304
    One pipe steam systems the valves must be all the way open. Turn the valve counter clockwise until it stops.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited March 2016
    Only opening the supply valve part way, on a one pipe system will allow water to pool in the bottom of the radiator. That may be the reason the vent is spitting water. Close that vent down, as much as possible without closing it completly. Keep the supply valve fully open. Make sure the radiator has a slight pitch, back to the supply valve side.
  • smoochas
    Hi guys, I glad I asked you all! Our house was built in 1945 and we've been here for 7 years. The failing varivent seems to have been there for a while by the looks of it! The steam radiator is inset into the wall under the window and at most, there is only 2-inches between the side wall and the radiator!! I am already worried about having enough room to screw the new one on so I am not sure there are any other vent options for such a tight spot??
  • Fred
    If the Varivent fits in there, a Hoffman #40 or a Hoffman 1A (adjustable vent) or a Maid-o-Mist should fit as well.
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 2,101
    Get some 1/8" street 45's. Works everytime. The best position for vari valves is DETACHED from radiator
  • smoochas
    Dang - wish I had asked here before buying the same to replace it! Here is a picture of the space - its super tight!
  • smoochas
    Geez, I can't get the old one off! A wrench won't even fit at the nut at the base... ! Any ideas??
  • Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
    Small crescent wrench
    ASM Mechanical Company
    Located in Staten Island NY
    Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
    347-692-4777
    ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company
  • smoochas
    There is not enough room for the width of ANY wrench - argh!
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,199
    I would just put a 10" or less "Knipex Alligator" type pliers on the whole body. Or Craftsman makes a 10 piece midget combo wrench set; goes from 5/32 to 7/16"........#942319. (they are only about 1/8" thick)..... The pliers will be more useful in the future for you though.
  • smoochas
    edited March 2016
    will WD-40 help loose what's going on or will a heat gun (though heat expands, no?
    Gah, might have to call someone after all. It seems like the only way to do this is to unhook the radiator from the supply and pivot the whole thing out of this niche to get the clearance needed ...
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    That radiator is bound to be heavy, so just go shopping for the thinnest wrenches you can find.--NBC
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,199
    PB blaster works good.....smells bad. Wouldn't take much.....maybe two applications an hour apart. The vent is brass screwed into your cast iron radiator, shouldn't take much to unscrew it. If the worst happens and it twists off, then you will probably have to move the rad out. Still not the end of the world.
    From the reviews stated above of that vent, there is nothing to lose by putting the pliers to it and maybe bending it in the process. Is that an angle vent or does the threaded part come straight out the bottom?
  • smoochas
    the threaded part comes straight out up and down. the only thing we found that remotely fits in this area at home depot is the smallest vice grip in this set. But its not giving us enough grip on the nut part. :(
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Locking-Pliers-Set-3-Piece-96431/206170161
    We're planning to renovate the house this year... I'm wondering if its worth the investment to replacement these radiators with say something like Runtel units? And I wonder if winter is over for this year ... ? anyone have a crystal ball - lol?
  • Fred
    Grab ahold of that vent body (near the bottom) with a pair of channel Locks and turn it. I've got faith in you!