Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Franken-tanks

hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,784
I have been running my solar array and wood boiler into a 160 gallon, former LP tank. I decided to upgrade to a 500 gallon and try a two pipe system.

The circs pump away from the bottom header to the drainback solar array and to the wood boiler, via the Taco DT circ, across the shop.

I'll have a plate HX for DHW pre-heat, mod con boiler input, high temperature for the radiators and an ODR controlled low temperature zone for the radiant.

I think the I-solar MX lite control can run it all. With and expansion module I can run two ODR controlled outputs.

The tank will fill about 3/4 full, the top space becomes the expansion tank and drawback "bubble"
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Nice headers.

ECM-circs-are-us?
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    The black tank is 500G? Did you weld the angle iron for feet? 3 pieces? That's gotta be about 2 tons no?
    Matt_67
  • hot_rod

The black tank is 500G? Did you weld the angle iron for feet? 3 pieces? That's gotta be about 2 tons no?

I thought about that so I'm also putting a ring around the bottom. It will make it easier to insulate also.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    are you building a still?
  • MikeG
    MikeG Member Posts: 169
    What type of lifespan do you forsee on an LP tank? I assume thay are just steel with no special coating. Is it no different than any other ferrous compnent in a system? Mike
  • hot_rod
    MikeG said:

What type of lifespan do you forsee on an LP tank? I assume thay are just steel with no special coating. Is it no different than any other ferrous compnent in a system? Mike

I will juice it up with some Rhomar conditioner, it is about 3/16 steel! It should certainly out live any expansion tanks, they seem to be paper thin these days.

I have been using this tank horizontally mounted for about 8 years, when I hole sawed the large holes in the side it was really clean and in great shape.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    What's the last circ pump to the right? I recognize the other 3. You testing out each one to see how they perform?
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Looks like it might be an Armstrong.