Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

recycling and re-purposing old appliances

Options
hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,193
I horde most of the devices that fail or wear out around here. I recycle the wiring and metal components, and the printed circuit boards.

I've been hearing some owls in the neighbor hood so I decided to build some "appliance" homes for them.
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream
SWEIvaporvacMark EathertonCLamb

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Nice!

Anything that eats bugs or rodents is my friend.
    Rich_49Mark Eatherton
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    Awesomesauce.
    The microwave door should make it easy to clean out old nests.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    We had a bat problem at the mountain house last summer. They were getting into the siding through a 1/2" tall crack the no reveal log siding. I built some bat houses for them, and hung them above the crack, then installed exclusion strips over their entrance on hinges.

We opened the strips during the day for ventilation, (pretty sure there were baby bats in the nest) then after they flew out at dusk, closed the strips to keep them from getting back in at dawn.

None of them took residence in the houses I'd constructed, and after 4 days of opening and closing the strip, they were gone. I hope that they come back and help keep the mosquito population at bay. It is said that they eat 1,000 mosquitos per bat per night. They also say that the whole group never flies at the same time, and we counted 24 that came out, meaning there may have been as many as 50 in the wall.

Good on you for supporting the natural eco system HR. AND protecting the environment.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    Here is a brilliant stop-action film with plenty of repurposing.
    The rest of their films are great as well:

http://pesfilm.com/pages/the-deep