Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Circulator sizing on Superstor 50 Gallon?

cwilliams2000
cwilliams2000 Member Posts: 140
Just trying to replace a failing circ pump and they had a 3 speed Taco installed but at the time they did that since that was what they had. This tank is on a normal residential boiler and only maybe 6 feet away. Just wondering would I go with a less hp like a 1/35 taco. I just replaced my main circ with a VT2218 but for the extra money I dont think this would do much since it only runs a minimal amount of time. Just not sure if I need an 007 or maybe thats bad and too powerful? Thank you

Comments

• Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
    edited March 2016
    I think 005 is too small. ...in the manual it says for the ss-45 coil has 8 ft of head and need a flow of 10gpm...whats the model # of indirect
    ASM Mechanical Company
    Located in Staten Island NY
    Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
    347-692-4777
    ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    What size and type of boiler is it?
  • cwilliams2000
    cwilliams2000 Member Posts: 140
    Hi its a Peerless WBV-04, I think its around 80k with burner setup. The piping is 1"
  • SWEI
    A WBV-03 fired at 84k has a DOE output of 75k, so figure 7.5 GPM at a 20°F ΔT. SSU50 shows 6.48' of head at 8 GPM for 20' of pipe with elbows and HX. A 005 would be darned near perfect there.
  • mikeapolis
    mikeapolis Member Posts: 46
    Install a Grundfos Alpha.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,784

Install a Grundfos Alpha.

Good call on the Alpha, it will use about 1/2 the electricity as the non ECM circs mentioned above, and give you plenty of flow.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    SWEI
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    The Alpha is a great circ, but on an indirect with its own dedicated circ, there will never be enough runtime to come close to paying for the upcost. Standard (and inexpensive) 007 gets my vote.

SFM
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    Hatterasguy
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    edited March 2016
    Could I please ask the question nobody has... What is your DHW need? From there, then we should size properly. Too many carts before the horse.. Based on the thread I'm going to assume the heating system is zoned circ's but you haven't really told us that either. @Hatterasguy is spot on with the 1" piping and more then likely correct on the 007 but the initial question I asked should be answered. A 005 is priced more then an Alpha, so scrap that idea.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Rich_49
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    edited March 2016

Chris said:

Could I please ask the question nobody has... What is your DHW need? From there, then we should size properly. Too many carts before the horse.. Based on the thread I'm going to assume the heating system is zoned circ's but you haven't really told us that either. @Hatterasguy is spot on with the 1" piping and more then likely correct on the 007 but the initial question I asked should be answered. A 005 is priced more then an Alpha, so scrap that idea.

I take the position that you cannot overpump an indirect with the exception of the electric cost.

If the 007 is satisfactory, the price surely dictates its procurement.

You can pump a bit faster with a much more expensive pump, but the gain isn't worth the cost.
    Didn't know anyone was arguing another position. It's a loaded position anyway. We both know a 007 will get the job done on a cast iron boiler application. My car will also operate with 15 PSI in all the tires too.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• bmwpowere36m3
    bmwpowere36m3 Member Posts: 512
    50 gal megastore, 3/4" piping 10' or so and 55k BTU boiler... I run the Grundfos 15-58 that came with the boiler on speed II, delta T 5-7*
  • SWEI
    Some of the northeast states have rebates that make an ECM circ net out under $100. Lacking that, the runtime on a conventional PSC wet rotor circ in a residential DHW app is not enough to make the efficiency increase worth worrying over.

Chris brings up a good point about the 005 pricing. 007's are common as dirt.
  • ced48
    ced48 Member Posts: 469
    edited March 2016
    As far as oversizing a pump for an indirect, it is false to say that you can not over pump. Choosing a pump which is grossly oversized, can, and will cause turbulence, and air issues.

Also, from past experience, the Superstor heat exchanger's have far less flow resistance than their posted numbers.
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,768
    Chris , the disagree was based on the fact that this poster is trying only to replace a failing circ , not sizing a system .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833