Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is there a Ghost in Boiler Number 1?

EdTheHeaterMan
EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,525
There is a noise coming from a Weil McLain CGs boiler that I cant get rid of. I cant even explain where the noise is coming from! Look and listen to the video on my Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/TheServiceDepartment.llc/?ref=tn_tnmn
if there is anyone that can help, I am all ears.

there are 2 WM CGs boilers that lead-lag Via Tekmar control. System installed 10 years ago but this is a new homeowner. I guess the previous owner just lived with the noise.
Radiant floor with injection pimping via Tekmar controls. Also has DHW tank. System works fine but air is difficult to purge after making repairs (like replacing a circulator).

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Are you sure it's not something in the impeller?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• EdTheHeaterMan
    I used a Stethoscope with a long rod attached to the end and listened to the boiler and piping for over an hour. The noise is defiantly loudest at the elbow and pipe nipple closest to the return opening at the boiler. The circulators are mounted on the supply. Also just replaced both boiler circulator cartridges within the past year #1 in October 2015 and #2 in March 2015. #1 ceased up and there was no hot water last March and the new owner purchased in May 2015.

I am thinking about pumping thru something to remove scale from the boiler this spring. I have never encountered this noise before. I hate to sell something to a customer that i'm not sure will fix the problem. Only guessing at this point!

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    I'm thinking the internal check on the IFC pump. Try closing the ball valve on the discharge of that pump while it's making the noise and see if it changes.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

EdTheHeaterMan
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    There are two things that will make the type of sound. The blower or the pump.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    With no apparent reason the noise stopped. #1 boiler has been operating for 1 month with no noise.

BOB. I already did the valve open and valve closed thing on several of the valves in the system. I reduced pressure and increased pressure. Played with this thing over an hour - 1/2 trying to get something to make the noise happen and then stop by off and on of electrical components and open and close of valve. I think I'm going to suggest a scale remover and flush out both boilers on the next maintenance this fall.

Uncle John. Pump on or pump off Fan on or fan off noise does not change. gradual increase in banging then gradual decrease as the water temperature increases and decreases. noise is not from motor

Thanks for input everyone!

Edward Young Retired

• Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    edited March 2016
    sounds like a flow control valve. I don't see any but see that the pumps have flow checks. I'd start there.

Robert O'Connor/NJ