Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hydronic Boiler Treatment Pump

NYplumber
NYplumber Member Posts: 503
Hi,

I was wondering what pump one would recommend to inject small quantities of boiler treatment into an already filled system. One can start draining and cause a vacuum however not all systems I work on are set up n a way to do this.

I can use a Yellow Jacket oil pump, however I am not sure thats the correct method.

Thanks
:NYplumber:

Comments

• EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,320
    If you go with the Fernox products the F5 cleaner and F1 inhibitor conditioner come in injection cans and hook up right to a boiler drain no pump needed
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
    Rich_49
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    I use this Wayne pump for boiler treatments and glycol. Works great.
    Steve Minnich
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,784
    For small amounts, under a gallon I like a drill motor pump. They pump about 20 psi, so you may need to lower the system pressure to push in the "juice"
    With a short washer hose, cut off one end and you can pump right out of the bottle or container.
    A cordless drill motor makes it very portable.

The Wayne pump that Stephen showed is handy, and inexpensive, but needs a quart or more just to fill the pump, so you need to have at least a gallon to fill it and the hoses. It's great for glycol fills or power purging.

The Liberty 331 is another version of that and it is an aluminum body, much lighter. It will do about 50 psi.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • NYplumber
    NYplumber Member Posts: 503
    Thanks for the replies. I carry a 331 on the truck for glycol purging and for purging systems that the street pressure is low.
    I will look into the drill pump.

Thanks
    :NYplumber:
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,532
    Silver king makes a force pump for injecting small amounts of their chemicals. Just add a little water to the chemical in a 5 Gal bucket and pump away. No Electricity needed, Arm-strong Power, my Dad used to say!

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,784
    The Silver King is handy! I dinged my in the truck and it would always jam up part way down. Wrap some armacel insulation around it to protect the soft brass tube. Or keep it safe in the truck.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Make sure to flush the Silver King with clear water after use.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Way back when, (jeez, never thought I'd be using THAT term...) when I first started in the solar/hydronic business, I found a 3 gallon aluminum paint pot/can used for spraying paint with compressed air. I think it could easily handle 100 PSI. It had a dip tube that went to the bottom of the reservoir, a short garden hose with a female end and a ball valve and a schrader valve for charging the can with compressed air. I could fill it with antifreeze (or whatever I needed to inject), and I could quickly and easily push chemicals into a system. The nice feature was that I could also use it to TAKE fluid out of a system. That way, I used the existing fluid for mixing in the can with corrosion inhibitors, etc., and then pump it back in with compressed air. Very little muss, absolutely no fuss.

These days, I use my Silver King pump. As noted by others, flush pump after use, and if exposed to freeezing conditions, completely drain it when done.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.