Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How many?

What's your favorite teflon tape and how many times to you wrap your threads? I remember 30 years ago when all you could get was the very thin stuff; another plumber told me 3½ wraps is all you need, but it didn't seem like enough and I always wrapped many more. Now, I use Hercules Gorilla tape and wrap it 6-7 times and don't have any problems.

You?

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,261
    Blue monster. 3-4 wraps on reg. Blk iron. 4-5 wraps on ill fits or bsp, an 2-3 wraps on brass fittings. I keep the Teflon back 1 thread and fill the first thread with blue monster dope. Can't remember the last leaker. I've used blue monster dope on refrigeration brass pipe thread with no leak. The stuff works.
    SWEI
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,122
    edited March 2016
    Blue monster, wrap it tight 3 times and put a film of Megaloc dope on it to lube it. I usually rub the megaloc on with my finger as it needs very little. For questionable joints I use more Megaloc and I'll do an extra wrap or two if I need it to tighten up sooner.

Though, I do use the typical white thin stuff for 1/8" and 1/4" brass fittings, those seem to work really well with very little sealer on them.

I used nothing more than Megaloc on 3/8" brass fittings on the pressure washer and no leaks even @ 3100 PSI.

I'm only a DIYer, so I doubt I have near the experience of most on here but this is what works for me.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    +1 for blue monster. 3-4 wraps usually does it for me. I'll add blue monster dope like Harvey.