Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Do I have the boiler replacement size correct?

Options
Hello everyone,
I want to be sure I am selecting the proper size steam boiler for my house, and so I came here to ask for you're help.
I have attached the replacement boiler sizing chart for my duplex, and a screen shot of the Burnham Independence Boiler specifications page.

I believe the PIN4PV is the closest size to what I need. Maybe a bit small, but the closest.

For what its worth, I installed 2ea. Gorton #2 vents at the end of the main, and insulated the main with 1" material.

Thanks for your comments.

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    You need to calculate the EDR of your existing radiation to size the boiler properly. Do not, just match the size of what is there.
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    I think he did that judging by his attachments. However, his choice, if he wants that particular boiler is a bit "undersized" by current standards. I think they're asking if it's still in the ballpark. OP, are you deadset on this brand boiler, is this what was there or what your installer prefers to put in?
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • Paul48
    Options
    Sorry........You know what they say,"Reading is Fundamental".
    vaporvac
  • pachysandra
    pachysandra Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Gerry Gill who Dan has mentioned in his books considers Burnham to the cadillac of steam boilers. So that's why I was looking at them.

My friend is a commercial plumber and we will install it together based on what I want to buy.

I should also mention that all the radiators are on the first floor. In other words, there is a lot less pipe in the system than if the pipe had to travel up to a second floor. So the "pick up factor" is less because the connected load is less. I believe this size boiler will be just right. But I just like asking for input. You never know what you can learn, unless you ask questions.
  • Paul48
    Options
    Sure.......MegaSteam MST 288
  • pachysandra
    pachysandra Member Posts: 3
    Options
    That's a oil boiler. I need a gas boiler. but thanks.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    That would still give you a 23% pickup factor. @ChrisJ is much lower than that and no problems. If it's only a single level house I would go for it. I am sure others will chime in.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    Options
    I'd use it.

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    I'd go with that too. 23% Pick-up is plenty and the next step up to the IN-5 is way to big. It should work well. Best of luck!
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    If only they were all this simple :)
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF