Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit

leaky return valve

mrblint Member Posts: 3
There is a leak on the main return shutoff valve on our hot-water heating system (1940s-era black iron). Is there a way to replace the valve washer which doesn't involve draining the water from the system? Is there some sort of air bladder that a plumber would have that gets put into the opening and inflated to stop the outflow temporarily, so that only some of the system's water drains out?


  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 15,040
    There are freeze cuffs for that are used for situations like that. It may be cheaper and just as easy to drink down, rebuild or replace and refill?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream