Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rusted return pipe on steam boiler

Options
I have a closed loop steam boiler with a corroded return pipe that is leaking right up against the back of the boiler. We have a steady drip of water coming out of the back. Will we need to replace the back of the boiler as well or just the pipe? How big a job is this?

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    What kind of boiler, how old is it? Pictures would help.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • doghouse
    doghouse Member Posts: 5
    Options
    It's a Crown. Not sure of the age, but I would say pretty old.
  • doghouse
    Options
    Here is a closer photo. the corrosion is right up agains the body of the boiler. It was covered in insulation, so went unnoticed for several months. I suspect it started to leak at the end of last season.
  • LionA29
    LionA29 Member Posts: 255
    Options
    Is this in service now( working)?
    You might need to start shopping for a replacement boiler. Who knows what's going on inside.
    Good luck !
  • doghouse
    Options
    It is working. The unit itself seems fine, it's just the pipe. Heat up nice, makes no noise. The water is pretty marking though.
  • LionA29
    LionA29 Member Posts: 255
    Options
    Well you can replace the pipe and do a service on the boiler and a thorough inspection.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Your not going to know till that pipe is removed from the boiler. Getting that pipe out won't be easy but if the boiler can be saved it will save a lot of money.

The good news is you have time to deal with it, good luck.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    UH, It looks like that pipe goes into a bushing into the boiler. If you're lucky, you may be able to cut that bushing out (carefully)and the tapping threads still be ok. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
  • doghouse
    Options
    Yeah not looking forward to maybe buying a new boiler. It was a slow leak that really did a number on the old pipe. The issue is finding a qualified plumber.
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    Where are you located?
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Once you remove that nipple, you could easily find that you need to replace either a section or even the whole boiler. I'd wait for warm weather if it were mine...
    HatterasguyJUGHNE
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Be hard to get a guarantee from anyone but is definitly worth a shot at fixing.They make a tap to clean inside of thread but as stated above I would wait for warmer weather.Good luck.
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,295
    Options
    I repipe a lot of older boilers yearly and there's always risk of once the old boiler has been broken down in order to start the repipe that it's in such bad shape both inside and out that it needs to be replaced. Just as everyone has said wait for the warmer weather to tackle a project like this.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856