Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Solaroll, new boiler and furnox

Options
Hey all,
After 30 years it's time to replace my Laars mini therm 75000 btu boiler and circ pump.
Question is.. Flushing old brown sludgy water and adding furnox to new system.
I have heard that it's not good to have any additives with a Solaroll type system.
Any recommendations?

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    Where did you hear that about not adding additives?
    I can imagine that some additives may be deleterious to some epdm tubing....
    Not the major players though.
    A call to the MFG of either Fernox or Rohmar would be a good plan though.
    Dwight at Rhomar is pretty well in knowledge in the odd tubing I imagine...since there has been more odd stuff on this side of the pond.
    Where is this tubing? Slab or Staple up?
  • carpjim
    carpjim Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Tubing in slab. Heard from contractor, glycol additive would be a killer for Solaroll, that has created a little paranoia about adding anything outer than..water. But still it would be nice to know all the junk was flushed out before the shiny new pump and boiler started cranking.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,131
    Options
    Mainly you need to keep all ferrous components out of the loop. Even those copper tube boilers has some metal in them.

Make sure you get every loop flushed clean, that in itself can be a job as those manifolds didn't have isolation for the loops.

Make sure the system holds pressure.

If you isolate all the ferrous metal from the hose, there will be no corrosion induced sludge forming.

The hydronic additives do offer other good benefits to the system, make sure they are blended with good quality, low TDS water.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • carpjim
    Options
    Thanks for the information. The new components will be installed Monday. I'll be sure to reiterate your comments.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    It is a small diameter tube, high pressure drop. If you add glycol the pumps may need to upsize. It is an EPDM tube and should get along fine with glycol, but O2 does migrate through any non barrier tube. So the glycol additives will need to be boosted occasionally. Good hydronic glycols contain oxygen scavengers, that is the component that gets depleted, then corrosion is possible.

It was one of the most comfortable radiant systems. The loops were short, spacing was tight and it was a counterflow layout, so the floor surface temperature was amazingly consistent.

You should have a plan B in mind if or when the loops fail, especially if you are spending $$ to replace the boiler and components.

Often the tube would go bad right at the manifolds, maybe the UV would weaken it over time, you could rip through it with a finger nail! Try not to disturb the manifolds, it was a funky, hard to duplicate fitting there.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Solaroll EDPM tubing did not have an oxygen barrier. You'll need to use stainless pumps and/or separate the new boiler from the tubing with a flat plate heat exchanger. Cleaning the sludge from the tubing is essential, and a chemical treatment with both a cleaner and O2 scavenger will help.
  • carpjim
    Options
    Paul,
    What cleaning fluid / 02 scavenger would you recommend?

"Cleaning the sludge from the tubing is essential, and a chemical treatment with both a cleaner and O2 scavenger will help."

Thx.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    There are 2 separate chemicals, the cleaner and the O2 scavenger and treatment. The cleaner is usually injected prior to the new boiler installation and allowed to circulate for 2-5 days, depending upon age of system and/or amount of sludging. It is then flushed and removed from system. The final additive is added to the new system after the new appliance is installed and purged. Either Rhomar or Fernox makes the chemicals.
    kcoppSWEI
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    edited February 2016
    Options
    FWIW...
    I would in no way add any glycol/ antifreeze to the system
    Just stick w/ the Fernox or Rhomar.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    These kits make it easy to clean, flush, and add conditioner. I think they do a 30 gallon system.

I agree, glycol only if absolutely need for freeze protection.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA