Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

No longer waiting 3 minutes for hot water. Woohoo!

Options
Erin Holohan Haskell
Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,287
We've got a small brick colonial home that was built in 1947. The mechanical room is in the basement and the attic on the third floor was converted into a guest room with bath. It usually takes about three minutes for warm water to reach the third floor (and just a little less than that for the second floor), so we would stand at the faucet every day, wasting water and time.

We installed B&G's ecocirc wireless instant hot water system back in 2013. It worked at first, but then it stopped working after a few months. We replaced it with a new ecocirc and tried again with the help of some very kind reps, but it never really worked as it should, even after a hydronic retrofit. It was also very noisy. We could hear it on the second floor.

So we thought we'd try something else. Yesterday, Brian Golden of Foley Mechanical installed Taco's Hot-LinkPlus hot-water recirculation system. He said it was a snap to install. And I am amazed at how quickly the hot water now reaches the third floor. I checked on it first thing this morning and (after a cold start) warm water arrived before I could even hit my stopwatch. I can also put it in smart mode and it will learn our hot-water usage patterns and make our home even more efficient. I'm impressed!
President
HeatingHelp.com
4Johnpipe

Comments

• Erin Holohan Haskell
    Options
    @Hatterasguy, there's a pulse mode and a smart mode. On pulse mode, the circulator will run for 150 seconds every 10 minutes. Since I have it in smart mode, it's going to run in pulse mode for 7 days and monitor and record our water usage this week. Next week, it will perform based on the data it gathered this week. So it will be trained to run more when we need hot water most (typically in the morning for showers).

Sure. I can check back in and comment on how it's doing in a few months. So far so good, though. What made me thrilled enough to brag about it was when I went up there and it laughed at my stopwatch. We've never had instant warm water like that up there.

I think I can determine if it learns my usage patterns if we continue to have instant hot water when we need it and I'll see if it's running when we don't need it. And I'm sure we'll see a difference in our water bills too.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    Glad you are in hot water!

Any idea what the failure was on the Eco? Did the pump seize up? Or a control glitz?

I think the Eco is a re-badged Laing, magnetic drive pump, they are usually completely silent, unless hard water conditions plug them up?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Options
    Thanks, @hot rod.

Not sure exactly what the failure was with the ecocirc. After the first pump didn't work out, the folks at Xylem said the pump may have been a little short of producing the flow rate necessary to deliver instant hot water to the third floor. They sent us a larger pump.

After installation of the second pump, warm water arrived on the third floor within 20 seconds. Then, over time, it took three minutes for the water temperature to go from 74 F to 113 F. There may have been an issue with the wireless functionality and interference. When we were troubleshooting, we did have to pair the devices to get them in sync again. And then it seemed like they stopped talking to one another. Ah...long distance relationships.

Yes, there is a permanent magnet motor, but we'd still hear the pump whirring the day away. The situation was the same before and after the retrofit. I don't think we noticed the noise as much before the retrofit because we had forced air contributing to our daily soundtrack as well.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    The HotLink is similar in concept to the Grundfos Comfort system, but the EOL thermostatic valve has much larger passages and is cleanable/replaceable.
    bob eck
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Hatteras . We Have used the Smart plus with that technology for a few years now . It does learn and relearn based on usage , very well might I add .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    I installed a smart plus for a retired engineer. That was a mistake I won't soon repeat.
    Bob Bona_4
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options

For some reason, I had thought it was a new product for Taco.

I believe HotLink is relatively new -- my PDF says 2014, but it may be a re-issue.
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    Not much to tell, really. Smart plus works well with people who have schedules. Retired people don't always have schedules. Retired engineers, make it a point not to have a schedule and they are also very analytical. The poor pump just can't do what they want it to.

Glad to hear about your success with the Smart Plus, Erin. I can tell you are excited about it.
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Engineers are like kids who just leaned a new word -

Why?

If we see something new we won't rest till we've taken it apart and figured out how it works. i still take stuff apart to see how it works and I'm 69 years old.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Years ago I was asked to find out why one of our high voltage designs was sporadically going out of limits. The supply was used on the display of the F15 and had very tight specs (10 v out of 10,000v).

It seemed to work very well but sometimes it would go 100v out of range for no apparent reason. After studying the problem for a while it looked like it was sensitive to position. After pulling out some more of my hair I realized the problem was a little glass mil spec diode - JTX 1N4150. It turns out some of the diodes were clear glass and the others were blue. The clear glass diodes exhibited a photoelectric effect if light was shined on them, it was enough to throw the feedback loop off about 1% (we had to hold a 0.1% range).

Cover any glass diodes in that location with a little black epoxy and the problem was solved. This fault would not happen in the aircraft because the supply was located where it could not have light fall on it but it could show up when mounted in a test jig.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • nate379
    nate379 Member Posts: 37
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have a setup in my house, the kitchen sink is the last thing on the hot water run so it takes a while and cools down fast (like ice cold in a few mins of no use). I forget the brand, the pump is blue and I bought it at Lowe's for about $275. Can either run all the time or on a timer.

I have it come on every couple hours for a few mins. Has worked fine for years. One thing though it is does seem to raise the water pressure quite a bit.
    It's been fine as my water pressure is terrible (20-30psi at the main) but I'm currently adding in a booster pump so I may end up having to remove the water heater deal.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    I'm looking forward to enjoying this on my next visit!
    Retired and loving it.
    Rich_49Erin Holohan Haskell
  • Roohollah
    Roohollah Member Posts: 135
    Options
    There are many lessons to derive from this subject. Here, we control semi yearly wet rotor Circulators ,especially those which have been installed for domestic hot water return . PH and total hardness are vital criteria when this type of Circulators are recirculating hot water in piping .I have attached a photo of inside of s circulator which has suffered from deposits .Thank you for providing us with practical solutions which professionals share with us.
    Erin Holohan Haskell