Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

LWCO

Options
vinceM
vinceM Member Posts: 81
Please help. Does anyone see a LWCO in this pic.
Could it be on the back??
Thanks

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    A lot of old boilers were installed without LWCO's, they can add one off the lower gauge glass fitting.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • vinceM
    Options
    Bob, so am I using the gauge glass to monitor the boiler water level??
    I'm always in the basement around the boiler. I have a manual water feed that I was shown to use if I see the water in the gauge glass below the recommended level. Does that substitute the LWCO?
  • vinceM
    Options
    HA! Not very reassuring. Would I be better advised to have a LWCO with auto feed installed
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    You'd be well advised to have a LWCO installed. The auto feed is good but as long as the LWCO works, it will shut the boiler down if there is a leak. Many prefer the auto feed, many others, myself included, just check the water level periodically.
  • BobC
    Options
    I agree with Fred, the LWCO should be installed to shut the boiler off if the water level ever drops to low. If your down the cellar several times a week you don't need the auto feeder so you'll have to add water if the water level drops over time.

Bob
    3PSI gauge
  • vinceM
    Options
    Ok. Thanks to all.
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,973
    Options
    Check inside the jacket in front of boiler. Alternatively, turn off boiler. Drain completely. Turn back on. Boiler won't go on if there is a working LWCO. Obviously, if boiler does go on, shut off ASAP.
  • rickhansell
    rickhansell Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Look directly below the electrical switches , a float type LWC is there, however that type does not have a blow down valve and probably is full of mud and not functioning. Like others have said, a LWC type installed at the sight glass would work.
    aircooled81SWEI
  • aircooled81
    aircooled81 Member Posts: 205
    Options
    Ha, rickhansell beat me to it, good call !
    I was wondering what that device below the switch box was.
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,973
    Options
    Good eye. Didn't spot that. As stated, you can test if it's functioning. Not a bad idea to get a MM 67 as a backup.
  • vinceM
    Options
    Rick, and others thank you. In fact, after my last post I went down to the boiler late that night and poked around again. There it was!!! Under the switch.I didn't have time to post again.
    I looked up the brand, McDonnell 369 float type and yes, no valve or drain present. Seems odd that this type of LWCO isn't designed to be cleaned out or is it??
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    No need to flush anything because this type sits directly inside the boiler thru a 2.5" boiler tapping.
  • vinceM
    Options
    Abracadabra, I'm a novice in the subject, please elaborate on your comment.
    As Rick stated above it's probably, "Full of mud...." Others have recommended adding a back up that has a flush valve.
    Thanks.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    Not sure what else to elaborate on. There is no external chamber for mud to accumulate. The float sits inside the boiler casting. Any mud would drop to the bottom of the boiler about 3 feet below.
  • vinceM
    Options
    OK. So this particular type of LWCO doesn't need to be cleaned. It's "self cleaning??"
    If I envision the inside of this 40 year old boiler and the sediment or what have you, is falling to the bottom over these years, would I be safe to conclude: #1- that there is likely a significant amount of debris that has accumulated,#2- this debris needs to be cleaned out.
  • BobC
    Options
    The key is to drain water out of the boiler and see if the LWCO shuts the boiler down when it gets low enough. Do this when the boiler is cold or just warm and don't run it for any length of time at very low water levels. That LWCO should be removed occasionally to be cleaned.

How dirty is the water that comes out of the boiler drain?

Bob
    3PSI gauge
  • vinceM
    Options
    Bob, thank you. Understood.
    I will have the boiler serviced very soon. I'll be sure to be present.
    Since the MM 369 and MM67 are completely different in design and how they are connected to the boiler why is one chosen over the other. I would think a mechanism that doesn't have to be regularly maintained would be preferable???
    I'm just trying to understand why they did what they did when my boiler was setup.
    Thanks
  • BobC
    Options
    It may just be what was supplied with the boiler. One would work as well as the other but the 369 is not prone to fouling like the 67 is. A lot of boilers don;t have a 2-1/2" side opening for the 369 so the 67 becomes the default for a water level switch Or a probe type LWCO is used instead.

Bob
    3PSI gauge
  • vinceM
    Options
    Thank you Bob