Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Skim port... Do I dare?

Options
I don't think this has been opened since it was originally installed in the 70's- should I even bother? It needs to be skimmed badly, and I'd like to be able to add some steamaster tabs- but if I can't- or shouldn't open this- then how do I get them in?
I'll have to log back in to upload the photo- for some reason, it's not letting me add any...

Comments

• marcusjh
    marcusjh Member Posts: 79
    Options
    Sorry about that - for whatever reason, my iphone wouldn't let me attach a file.
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    you can, we use an impact wrench to take them out. about 300 foot pounds usually will do it.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• marcusjh
    Options
    Thanks. Regular pipe dope to put it back? Or something specific?
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    I would invest in an 8 point impact socket for that venture. You can size it with an open end wrench.....maybe 7/8" for a 1" plug.
    A 6 or 12 point might seem to fit tightly, but you get one chance to not break off the square corners of the plug. If that happens then it is chisel & drill time. Personally, (I am always paranoid with this things), I always soak something like that with PB Blaster spray or something similar.....several times over several days, then pick out old pipe dope with dental pick, between spraying........IMO

FWIW, I service a boiler with that exact plug situation, but now it only has 3 corners on the plug. :'(
  • marcusjh
    Options
    Thanks! This is why I'm wondering if I should just use the top of where the gauge glass goes to skim from - problem is - how would I get the steamaster tablets in? I saw a previous post where someone dissolved them in water and then poured into a custom built nipple on a skim port, but if this thing goes on me, I'm SOL - or can I just funnel it in from the nearest radiator connector?
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    The plug will most likely come out with the penetration oil applied several times. Impact wrenches work more efficiency than brute force applied, which is what happen to the boiler I described above. The worst scenario for you with the impact is that the plug head breaks off. The hole would still be sealed by the plug itself.
  • marcusjh
    Options
    OOo... Will that thing fit up into the gauge pipe with a tablet in it's teeth?
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Can you rephrase that question again?--NBC
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    marcusjh said:

OOo... Will that thing fit up into the gauge pipe with a tablet in it's teeth?

No
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    In a pinch remove the PRV and pour a dissolved tablet into that port with a funnel. If the PRV is on the side of the boiler use some tubing on the funnel to direct it where you want it.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • mookie3333
    mookie3333 Member Posts: 83
    Options

Everybody should own one of these:

A lifesaver in many situations, including this one.

What the hell is this called?? Owned one years ago, haven't seen it for sale in recent years.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options

Everybody should own one of these:

A lifesaver in many situations, including this one.

What the hell is this called?? Owned one years ago, haven't seen it for sale in recent years.
    I just saw them at Home Depot this past weekend.
  • marcusjh
    Options
    Found the claw - but had to do a little digging about what a PRV was (forgive me, I'm a newbie). There is an emergency blow valve on the top of the boiler, but I've been told to never touch it by the service guys... is that what you're referring to?