Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Brass and stainless compatibility

Options
kcopp
kcopp Member Posts: 4,448
I just read on another website that brass and stainless threaded fitting/ nipples do not play well together in potable water.... is this true? If so Why?

Comments

• Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    It depends on what kind of stainless steel. Copper is in the middle of the galvanic chart:

http://www.npfasteners.com/pdfs/galvanic-corrosion-chart.pdf

The further away you get from copper on the chart, the more likely you will get a reaction.

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    The series also changes with different electrolytes. Many of the standard tables are based on low oxygen seawater.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,448
    edited February 2016
    Options
    the fittings I am looking at are 304.
    So many water heaters are 316.
    We commonly use copper & brass fittings to hook these up.
    Makes me wonder now.
    Brass may be a better alternative.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    We've been using 304 SS nipples for about two years now -- remediating non-barrier piped RFH systems, for unpressurized solar drainback, and on DHW.

ISTR the inner tank on the SMART series are made out of 304 (or 304L) and those work fine with our city water. I will monitor the DHW installs (especially the ones that are running continuous 140-160°F temps) over the next few years just in case.

If the chloride levels in the water are such that they cause issues with SS indirects, I would certainly consider 316 instead.
    kcopp
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Some of the lower grades of stainless will actually hold a magnet, and rust in the right(or wrong) conditions.
    kcoppSWEIGordy