Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Protect main vents

MEK
MEK Member Posts: 15
I am looking to upgrade my main vents, in a single-family home with 1-pipe steam. The longer main (~40ft) has one vent installed right after the last riser (25ft from header), and a second one atop a tee (right vent in picture, behind black gas pipe). The shorter main (~20ft) only has a vent atop a tee (left vent in picture). I want to do what I can (without dismantling the wet and returns) to protect new vents, is it better to elbow off of these locations and move the vents away to minimize damage from water hammer? The higher return will be tough to loop back 180deg, does that matter much?

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,489
    If you have 40 ft on one main and 20 ft on the other, the optimum venting would be had by putting a Gorton #2 on the short Main and 2ea Gorton #2's on the long main. In both cases it would be best to locate the vents 1 to 2 ft away from the drop to the wet return.

make sure there is slope so any wateer can find it's way back to the boiler.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Are you having issues with water hammer? Many of us have vents on a Tee like in your picture with no Problem, although, ideally you's want them back from that drop by about 15". I'd raise it up with a nipple and a coupling and fix any hammering you might have by checting the mains for any sags or pitch issues that might cause water to puddle in the main.