Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Air Adjustment on Beckett AWG w/ Burnham V84 (2003)

OILBTU
OILBTU Member Posts: 3
Well, I'm just getting into this. Don't have all the tools yet but I do have thermometer (thermocouple on a Fluke meter), a new Bacharach spot tester, appropriate boiler brush, a pressure gauge, and a Dwyer 460 draft gauge.

I first changed the spin-on oil filter and before doing anything else, I checked the draft (at flue and over fire) and stack temp. The drafts were fine at 0.3 in the stack and 0.1 in the boiler. But the net stack temp was about 525 degrees -- a little hot no? I checked the air settings, they were at 2 for the band and 10 for the shutter. I then checked the fuel pressure and found it to be correct at 140 psi (I used a known good pressure gauge). I next removed the Beckett AWG burner from the boiler (to allow easier access to parts) and removed, cleaned, and re-adjusted air tube, burner head (a V1), electrodes, etc. I also replaced nozzle, a Delavan solid cone 1.10 gph (at 100psi) 60 degree, and replace the oil pump strainer and gasket. Everything was set up to Burnham specs (pretty much the same as Beckett specs and pretty much the same as I found everything except I moved nozzle line assembly forward by 3/16 in. consistent with Burnham specs).

Everything went together just fine (very easily now that everything is clean) and start-up was perfect. The flame looks great to this laymen. I re-checked draft figures and they were unchanged and, after running 5 minutes plus, net stack temps were unchanged at 525 degrees.

I now used spot tester and found no evidence of smoke, a "0" on the Bacharach scale. So I closed down the shutter a little from 10 to 6 and tested again. No smoke, same stack temp. I eventually went to 1.5 on the band and 0 on the shutter and still no smoke and same stack temps. At this point I quit and decided to re-set back to specs (2 on band, 10 on shutter) and write this post. Unfortunately, I do not have a CO2 gauge yet (gonna get the old fashioned Bacharach hour glass thing if I can find one in used in good shape) so I don't have any CO2 numbers.

What could be going on here? Am I missing something?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited February 2016
    You made 2 different post about pump pressure 140 & 100, it should be 140. The shutter/band setting are correct for starters.
    For draft, I'm assuming you mean -.01 over fire, and -.03 over breech.
    Forget the wet kit for combustion. Even if you find a good used one, you're going to have to replace/deal with the very caustic/hazardous fluid.
    You're better off having a friend come over or pay a professional to come over and give it a final once over and check combustion.
    I don't know why you moved the nozzle assemble forward, it's possible you measured from the wrong spot in determining the z-dimension. You could move it back and see if anything changes.
    2 reasons why you may not be seeing any smoke. The smoke gun is defective, or your going too fast taking your sample.
    Basic proper smoke test:
    I put the paper in, stick my thumb over the end of the tube and pull about an inch. That's about all you should be able to pull and it should hold. If it doesn't, either the paper isn't locked in, or there is a leak somewhere in the hose or body, or not properly sealed. Where the rubber tube meets the body of the smoke gun is usually where it comes off.
    10 full strokes. 3 seconds on the pull, hold 3 seconds, return 1 second...repeat 10 times.
    As far as stack temperatures, I would double check with a better draft gauge. It's possible the draft increases while the burner is running, so check it again. Also make sure the barometric damper is working properly. Too much draft would make the stack temp higher, although I wouldn't use a thermocouple on a meter but a proper thermometer. Make sure you are deducting room temperature for net stack temp
    steve
  • OILBTU
    The nozzle like all nozzles is rated at 110 but in this case it is run at 140. I moved nozzle line assy fwd by 3/16 to be consistent w/ Burnham specs. Burnham specs are for this specific burner / boiler combination but Beckett specs are generic w/out regard to boiler - I'll may try moving back and see what happens. The spot tester is brand new Bacharach. I was pulling for 3 sec but holding for only 1. Will try again. Draft nos were all done w/ unit running - am I supposed to do it w/ unit off? Also, draft was -0.1 over fire and -0.3 in the stack -- isn't in the stack and over the breach the same ihing? The gross stack temp was 585, the ambient about 60. The thermocouple is super accurate on a Fluke 179 meter. I'll give this another go and report back. Thks
  • OILBTU
    A typo, nozzle rated at 100, run at 140.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    Specs for Fluke 179. What I can't tell is if this includes the supplied thermal couple or not. I use mine all the time by freezing it to an evaporator with a droplet of water to measure temperature.

Accuracy ±(1.0% + 10)
    Max. resolution 0.1°C
    Range -40°C / 400°

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    As long as it's a K-type, the Fluke will read it correctly.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    SWEI said:

As long as it's a K-type, the Fluke will read it correctly.

Doesn't the probe have some kind of tolerance as well?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Not really. A thermocouple is just a metal to metal junction.
  • deadmansghost
    deadmansghost Member Posts: 32
    OilBtu mentioned previously:
    (" Draft nos were all done w/ unit running - am I supposed to do it w/ unit off? Also, draft was -0.1 over fire and -0.3 in the stack -- isn't in the stack and over the breach the same ihing? The gross stack temp was 585, the ambient about 60."),
    Those are high draft readings. It is typical too see -0.02"w.c. up to -0.08"w.c. This would explain the high stack temperature. Would be a good idea to have another look at the draft numbers.