Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Custom 6 Zone Panel - S/R Temp Display

Options
Looking to make my own custom panel to display S/R temps of my hydronic heating zones. Thinking I could do this relatively cheap using LED temp displays from China bought on EBay. Not sure if there is anything out there like this as all I'm looking to do is sense and display temps, not control them. Would love to see any custom ones built by members from heating help...thanks.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    Here are some from the wood burners over at hearth.com. Most guys custom build their own.

One brand that is web enabled alsohttp://www.controlbyweb.com/x300/specs.html
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • john p_2
    john p_2 Member Posts: 367
    Options
    Nice, thanks Bob. I like the one to the far right with the powder blue cover - exactly what I'm looking for.
  • john p_2
    Options
    Bob, not sure if that powder blue one that I like is store bought (doubt it) but if you can give me any info on that one such as part # for the LED displays and maybe a wiring diagram, I would appreciate it.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    The photo on the far right appears to be of a 12" x 12" x 4" gray PVC (NEMA 6P) J-box.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • john p_2
    Options
    Yes thanks SWEI. Appears custom made. Would love to get exact part#'s for the displays and a wiring diagram...hoping to power it from the Taco Zone Control Panel.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Here is the response from Jim regarding the homebuilt.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • john p_2
    Options
    Wow, thanks so much Bob
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Show us a picture of the finished product, when you are done..
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • john p_2
    Options
    For sure...
  • john p_2
    Options
    Bob, the attachment from Jim gives only part #'s for the sensors not the displays, any chance you can get the LED display part #'s and I really would love a wiring diagram/sketch if at all possible.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    go to e-bay, enter DS18b20 digital temperature meter as he mentioned, all sorts of sizes, colors etc. Be sure to get them that read F. Just wire the sensor to the meter, battery of separate power source.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Wellness
    Wellness Member Posts: 141
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I second Hotrod and highly recommend controlbyweb, although they don't make a device that itself has an actual digital display; however, it can output digital information to a web browser. As for the panel face itself I used software from, this website to build lots of custom panels such as the one here. They are pricey but also recommended.
  • john p_2
    Options
    Wellness....like the temp gauge used in the photo you attached, can you tell me where you bought ?
  • john p_2
    Options
    Guys, I do not see any (affordable)temperature monitoring devices, LCD or LED that meet all my criteria - max temp 200 degrees, Fahrenheit display not C, and 24 VAC. I do like the Azel dual temp display DS-60P but thought I could design a cool looking panel of my own for less money...
  • Wellness
    Options
    @johnP. For cheap gauges I'd recommend the Docooler Digital Temperature Controller, which show temps, only. The gauges I used in my panel are Dakota Digital and require separately sold sensors but you can measure PSI and Temp. You can see more at my site, below.

Xtremeutility.com
  • john p_2
    Options
    Wellness...wow, what a website!!?? Very nice, that is awesome.
  • john p_2
    Options
    Wellness...I see the 24VAC to 12VDC power adapters on the website but I'm not sure what the best way to go as far as powering/wiring up for 10 gauges (5 zones monitored - 1gauge for each S & R)
    Not sure whether there is enough power to grab it from my Taco zone control panel or bring a dedicated AC line straight to my custom panel and from there reduce to 12VDC but it's far above me which is the correct way
  • Wellness
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I used those 24VAC to 12VDC converters only to power 12vdc LEDs, since the Taco zone on/off display is so small and hard to read.

If all you want is to display boiler temps, just design a panel with FrontPanel Express or mount the Docooler Digital Temperature Controller in a large switch box and cover it with a regular Decora wallplate and insert the probe in the appropriate sensor well in your zone piping. Each Docooler Digital Temperature Controller will require 24vac from a transformer unless you buy the 110vac model. See the customer images at Amazon under the product review section. Lots of ideas there. Hope that helps.