Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler chemicals w/ seperator

kcopp
kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
I just installed my first Caleffi Dirt mag air scrubber. Nice rig. Cool that it does all that in 1 unit. After a week or so of operation I figured to give it a flush... I was amazed at what came out.
Now typically I would add cleaner and then add an inhibitor....but now I wonder at what point I should do this, if at all.
If I add an inhibitor and then go to flush out the Dirt mag I will be flushing out the inhibitor that I want in the system.
How have you guys done this in the past?

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    After power-flushing, we usually fire them up with some cleaner in them, then drain weekly to see what comes out of the DirtMag. Until we see about a teaspoon or less of sediment per drain opening, we leave the auto-feeder hooked up and someone keeps draining, which can sometimes take several weeks. Once the drainings come back clean, we drain and re-fill the with a mix of RO and tap water (to net 3-5 GPG) and add an inhibitor.
    kcopp
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    You could save the fluid you flush out, allow the sludge to settle and use it again? As Kurt suggested the sludge should flush out after a few try and the conditioner should prevent future build up.

The exception might be a large old iron pipe/ radiator system that keeps flaking deposits, you would flush your conditioner every time.

Keep a 5 gallon bucket of conditioned water with you to pump in as you flush out, perhaps. Those small drill motor pumps on a cordless drill are great for a few gallons of fluid addition, very little waste.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    kcopp
  • SWEI
    The first phase is a zone by zone flush with fresh water until the drains are running clear.

A flush cart drives the second phase, with a 4-1/2" high flow (Big Blue) filter housing and 20µ cleanable pleated paper element (good for the season in most cases) piped in series with the return, protecting the pump seals and impeller.

Next steps depend on the system age, health, construction, and condition.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    What do you have for a flush cart? I looked into buying one (fernox version) but could not justify the cost.... Looked cool but wow$$$$.
  • SWEI
    Caleffi NA25510 -- works great for residential and light commercial systems, and OK for larger systems where you can valve off to work a zone at a time.

Still looking for a 3Ø pump in the 1-2 HP range with the right curve for larger systems. Planning to pair that with a 275 gallon IBC.