Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burner turning on and off

Options
dtjmcoombs
dtjmcoombs Member Posts: 2
I have a Dettson radiation oil furnace with a Riello BF5 burner. Furnace has been troublesome on and off for several years. When blower turns on, the fire only stays on for about 30 seconds or so and cuts out. Fire starts again and the process continues until temperature is reached. I have tried changing nozzles and oil filters, but doesn't seem to help. Problem seemed to have started originally after high winds occurred. Repairman would change nozzle and problem would disappear for awhile. A few times I cleaned the electronic eye and it seemed to help. Doesn't seem to help anymore. Any suggestions?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    You really need a good tech, well versed in Riello's to check it out. You need to troubleshoot all the voltages, and set with an analyzer.
    When you say 'blower' are you talking about the furnace blower motor, or the burner motor.
    Seems like you are losing the flame, the burner recycles and fires. This could be from a number of reasons, but I would look into and consider the draft.
    Is the draft set properly? Is there a draft regulator? Is this direct vent or chimney vent? The high winds could either be causing excessive draft (flame detachment) or blocking the draft (not burning cleanly, electronic eye shuts down burner).
    Easier to troubleshoot in person, watching what happens and testing/measuring, then just guessing here.
    steve
  • dtjmcoombs
    dtjmcoombs Member Posts: 2
    Options
    I was talking about burner motor. It has a direct vent and a draft regulator. Where can I find the draft settings?
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    You have a flame failure problem. The burner is recycling due to wrong adjustments, nozzle specs, overfire draft, etc. You need a pro there who knows Riello