Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help with Main Vents

Options
I have a one-pipe steam system in my basement, which was installed in my home a couple months ago. Now that the heating season is in full swing, I've noticed that the vent at the end of the return line pushes out a ton of steam. The main goes to the front of my house and loops back around for the return. There is a vent on the return line that is very old and doesn't even seem to be working and then there is a vent at the very end of the return (which shoots out a lot of air and steam (the ceiling gets a little wet above it). The end vent was replaced with the boiler, and I'm guessing the other vent on the main needs to be replaced but I'm not sure what vent I should get the replace it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Tell us the length and diameter of each of your Mains and we can tell you which vents and how many you need. Depending on the size and length of the mains, each may require more than one vent to be properly vented. Any vent that releases steam needs to be replaced, for sure. It is not properly closing. Sometimes they can be taken off and cleaned but replacing them if they are old is the best option.
  • benleefaulkner
    benleefaulkner Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks! I'll measure when I get home and post the measurements. The one that is leaking is only a few months old, but it is probably a cheap one.

None of the pipes are insulated either, on account that we had all the asbestos removed.
  • Fred
    Options
    Insulating The mains is a good investment, both in fuel savings and system operation.
  • benleefaulkner
    benleefaulkner Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Should i insulate with 1" fiberglass or is 1/2" OK?
  • Fred
    edited January 2016
    Options
    1" is the best value. Cold areas like crawl spaces, 1-1/2". 1/2" is better than nothing but isn''good.