Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacing Flair #51 Radiator Vents?

Options
SynrG
SynrG Member Posts: 35
After our recent issue with the convector vent in our upstairs bathroom, my husband wants to make sure we have some extra vents on hand for the radiators in the house, especially since we have no idea on their age. (We bought the house in 2006.)

We have a one-pipe steam system with cast iron radiators (except for the single convector in the one bathroom). It looks like all the radiators have Flair #51 vents. I'm not coming up with much in my online searching as far as the retailers that seem to carry most other brands of radiator vents. Last night he found the company website (flairproducts.net), but ordering seems cumbersome. (Yes, I can call the company, but yeesh!)

I like that the Flair vents apparently have a guarantee. But are they worth the hassle when there are a lot of other brands of more-easily-purchaseable (Ok, I'm an Amazon junkie and love my Prime delivery.) vents available? If we were to decide to replace the Flairs with a different brand, what would be the choices? At this point we're happy with the heat distribution in the house: nothing seems to heat too quickly or too slowly. So, what would be our choices if all we wanted was a more widely-available vent that was a direct replacement for the flow rate/function of the Flair #51 fitting?

Thanks!

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    I didn't think Flair made vents anymore at all? I was just on their site and the vents are listed in their history page and the brochure looks older than me. Gerry Gill lists it as obsolete on his venting capacity chart (book available on this site). If you want something equivalent to that vent (capacity wise), A Hoffman adjustable 1A vent on setting 4 is very close. Gorton #5 vents a little slower than what you have and a #6 is faster. That Flair is actually a fairly aggressive vent capacity wise.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • SynrG
    SynrG Member Posts: 35
    Options
    I think you're right. I think I was misunderstanding the "product history" page to be providing information on the history and development of the products (and I was thinking that the brochure looked dated), not that they were no longer available. But I guess if they don't make them that explains why I can't find them for sale. :D

So a Hoffman #1A on setting 4 should be nearly identical to the Flair #51, the Gorton #5 is slightly slower (so the radiator should heat more slowly than current rate), and the Gorton #6 is faster (radiator should heat faster than currently), right? That might actually give us a bit of wiggle room to tweak things a bit with regard to heat flow.