Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Down firing a System 2000

Options
turbo400
turbo400 Member Posts: 10
I had a brand new system 2000 installed about a month and a half ago and am very happy with it. I found out that the boiler is set at the 90,000 btu level. My house is a 1500 sq. ft. colonial built in the 1930's that has about a 53,000 btu heat loss. My question is can I down fire the boiler below it's lowest factory rating which is 83,000 btu's. I was reading through the Beckett burners owners manual that came with the new boiler and it said that the burner can take as small as a .40 size nozzle. I would like to keep the btu rating on the burner as small as possible to save as much oil as possible. How low can I fire my new boiler.

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    The lowest EK approved firing rate is .68, which it sounds like you already at. Flue gas condensation is the concern, I assume you have a power venter?
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • turbo400
    turbo400 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    I don't think I have the .68, I think i have the .74. I don't know what a power venter is. Is there anything wrong with going with a smaller nozzle size than what EK recomends.
    dennis53
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Is there anything wrong with going with a smaller nozzle size than what EK recomends

What Bob said:
    The lowest EK approved firing rate is .68, which it sounds like you already at. Flue gas condensation is the concern, I assume you have a power venter?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    Down firing is not always the best plan of attack when trying to save fuel. These are efficient, and have been tried and proven when fired at the recommended firing rate. I will echo condensation
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    If you can fire the boiler at a lower input, and maintain at least 325 to 350 degrees on the exhaust, it should be fine. You will have to have test equipment to be able to set it up and get the air mix and the exhaust temperature right though.
    Unless I have been missing something????
    Rick