Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

275 gallon oil tank filled to 44 inches?

RobertL
RobertL Member Posts: 28
My oil company filled my tank as they have been for the last 20 years. Today I decided to stick the tank. Exactly 44 inches of oil, which equated to 275 gallons
I thought they left some headroom for my underground tank

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    yes the whistle extends into the tank warning the oil driver to cut off flow when tank is almost fill .
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • RobertL
    I was under the impression that it was almost impossible to get a full 44 inches in the tank.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    RobertL said:

I was under the impression that it was almost impossible to get a full 44 inches in the tank.

Obviously not. :)

My assumption was a 275 gallon tank was designed to hold 275 gallons so the actual tank is actually bigger than this. Maybe 280-285 if filled all the way?

I'm curious to see what others say as I'm sure someone here knows without a doubt.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Aaron_in_Maine
    Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
    We don't have many underground tanks up here but I know on a above ground 275 if the whistle is installed correctly it should stop at 240-250 gallons.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
    ChrisJRJMCTAFO
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    You can fill it all the way up if you have the nerve to keep going after the whistle stops and listen to the bubbles. Or, more likely, the driver filled to whistle stop, or a little more and the oil expanded from a very cold temp. Also if its an underground tank, the driver may use an underground fill adapter. In this scenario, the vent is pulled up to about 2" from the top of the tank. Also, being underground are you sure the top of the tank is 44"?
    Ive never been able to put 275 gallon into an empty 275 tank
    steve
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    Wow,

So a "275 gallon tank" is literally that size, so you can't use the full size under most conditions?

Reminds me of 32" CRT tvs that only 30" was visible. :(
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,505
    Your vent whistle may no longer be operative. If this is the case, the driver only knows to stop when he actually hears the oil foaming in the vent pipe. This would get you a full tank. It is also a potentially dangerous situation. Did you run out?

Or...

You could have an odd-ball tank down there, and 44" may not equate to 275 gallons.

Did the driver leave you a slip with gallons delivered?
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    260 is considered full. Tank needs some space for "wiggle room".

This is a BURIED 275???
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    I think you have a 500 gallon underground tank. If I remember correctly, they are 48" round. I would also be careful not to drop the stick letting it hit the bottom harshly
  • RobertL
    >>>>>> This is a BURIED 275???<<<<<<<<<<

Yes, they are all buried in this development. Yes, he left a slip...
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    ChrisJ said:

So a "275 gallon tank" is literally that size, so you can't use the full size under most conditions?

LPG tanks are rated by water capacity - in pounds for DOT portable cylinders and in gallons for stationary tanks. A multiplier (specific to the fuel, the expected ambient temp limit, and the application) and is applied to that number to determine how much can safely be pumped into the tank. Roughly 80% of the gross capacity in most cases (though they used to fill them to 90%, at least where we lived.)
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    SWEI said:

ChrisJ said:

LPG tanks are rated by water capacity - in pounds for DOT portable cylinders and in gallons for stationary tanks. A multiplier (specific to the fuel, the expected ambient temp limit, and the application) and is applied to that number to determine how much can safely be pumped into the tank. Roughly 80% of the gross capacity in most cases (though they used to fill them to 90%, at least where we lived.)
    So, a 500 pound LPG tank holds 500 pounds of water.
    Not 500 pounds of LPG.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Right, though the largest DOT tank I've seen is 420#. Multiply the W.C. number stamped on the ring by 0.42 and you get the weight of LPG the tank can hold.

A standard residential LPG tank has a 499 gallon capacity. Tanks that hold 500 gallons or more require a building setback increase from 10 feet to 25 feet, which is why you often see two or more 499's installed to serve large houses or light commercial jobs.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    edited January 2016
    We had a lot of those developments RobertL. Some were 275, some were 330, and not even actual tanks that were for the purpose of installing underground. I would consider getting it out of there, and install one above ground. Many insurance companies, up North here anyway, will not provide you coverage, nor will a bank lend money to a property that has one
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Right on. Don't think it's a STiP3 :) I've come across buried 275s, mostly flat. I would seriously look into removal and above ground replacement.
  • RobertL
    Thanks guys for your input
    Regards