Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

many new gorton d vents maybe bad

Options
johnnyh13
johnnyh13 Member Posts: 31
edited January 2016 in Strictly Steam
I have d valves on some radiators on all floors. my question is had to return to supply house.com couple d valves for not closing and opening too soon as soon as heat goes off. I moved the good valve to radiators where bad valves were and it works fine. question is what would cause air valve to open as soon as boiler shuts down and radiator is still red hot.am I just getting bad valves from this place? also had to hit valves sometimes for it to close all the way and returned them now got problem of venting too soon when hot.forgot to mention also changed main vents to #2

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    When the burner shuts down, all the steam condenses fairly rapidly, leaving a vacuum. the vents will all open very quickly to let air back into the system.
    For vents not closing, check the pressure, as if it is above 2 psi, the vent may have trouble closing all the way. Another possibility is that debris from dirty boiler water may have been thrown up into the system, lodging in the vent, preventing it from shutting all the way.--NBC