Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Crane Thin Tube Radiators. EDR not in books

Options
JUGHNE
JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
I have a schoolhouse full of these. 33" tall--3 tube and 4 tube, 4.5" and 6.5" section width.
I was going to use 3 EDR and 3.5 EDR as a best guess for those.

(There are two 4 tubers with 35 sections & center leg, 87.5" long, someone earned their pay with those)

But then there are some 39.5" tall 3 tube, 4.5" section width.

Then basement ceiling radiators, 28.5" "tall" 2 tubes and some 21.5" "tall" with 2 tubes per section.

Does anyone know EDR for the tall boys and ceiling rads? Thanks
ranzerox

Comments

• Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Options
    I have some charts from and old ASHRAE book. For your 33" (32") tall 3 tube I show 3 sq ft, for the 4 tube I show 3.5 sq ft.
    For the 39.5" tall, I show 38" tall by 3 tubes at 3.5 sq ft.
    I don't have any information for this type of ceiling radiator.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Thanks Dave, the ceiling rads are almost like small column units.
    My best guess for the 28" to use 2.8 EDR and for the 21.5" to use 2 EDR. The only concern to get close is for orifice sizing and I will start out small.

I added a picture of interest, a brass valve brazed directly onto a 1" riser steel pipe......something you would have seen during the 30's when people had more time than money, but the TRV indicates that it was more recent than the depression.....also note that there a coupling below just above the floor!
  • ranzerox
    ranzerox Member Posts: 52
    Options
    @JUGHNE, I have Crane radiators too, how did you estimate the EDR? Thanks

I have pictures posted here.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    edited December 2021
    Options
    I have Burnham, H B Smith and Weil Mclain catalogs.

The 3 tube talls are either 37" tall @ 3 sq ft/sec or 38" tall @ 3.5/section same as Dave had

I have some of what they call "wall radiators" but they are all single column, nothing with 2 tubes
    ranzerox