Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Webstone was leaking, now it's not

GW
GW Member Posts: 4,691
We installed a couple of Webstone 58654 for a geothermal system, one was leaking on the mechanical connection (very minor, a drip every few minutes maybe). I ordered a replacement and was about to set up a time to go replace it. System was pressure was low at the initial filling, about 30 psi. I want to jack it to 70-80.

Now, it stopped leaking. Is it possible these things are prone to leak in the beginning?

maybe one of my more stupid questions, but hey it's Monday

Thanks, Gary
Gary Wilson
Wilson Services, Inc
Northampton, MA
gary@wilsonph.com

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    mechanical connection? Is it a press version?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,587
    edited January 2016
    I'm going to assume he means the valve stem or a joint in the valve housing it self.
    If it was mine, I'd replace it. If it leaked once, it'll leak again most likely when you least want it to.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Those valves can be a little touchy. If you get them to hot during sweating, that connection will leak. You can repair it by unscrewing it, apply some blue monster dope and put it back together. It's best to wrap the body with a wet rag while sweating.

Yes, it should be repaired.
    SWEI
  • GW
    Thanks for the comments. I've never unscrewed one of these, ,never had a leak. I did have to torch it twice, I needed more room to get the fusion iron (I realize you can't picture this) in place, you know the iron takes a few extra inches

I may as well replace it while the flush cart is still in the basement!
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    Harvey Ramer
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    I know what you are saying on the fusion iron. Incredibly easy to paint oneself in a corner.

I frequently find myself in your shoes, whatever the situation may be. While it is tempting to leave something slide that is in the proverbial "gray area", over the course of time it is always the best choice to get things 100% and avoid that expensive call back, which will come at the most inopportune time with a disgruntled customer to boot.
  • GW
    Right on
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com