Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HT Varivalve Min. Setting

Options
hvacfreak2
hvacfreak2 Member Posts: 500
edited January 2016 in Strictly Steam
I know that there are plenty of posts about the problems and the bad times with these , but has anyone had any luck with the lower / lowest settings ? I never hear anyone say that they are using these , or flying the Heat Timer flag like some Hoffman or Gorton users. I need a straight vent and this is the only adjustable one out there with a 1/8 inch connection , and my calculated ( or mis-calculated ) venting is right in line with the lowest or slightly more on a couple of radiators. Thanks for the replies.
hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    I think most problems occur when they are used opened up because they can vent very fast. Try them and see how they work but be warned they don't have a float so if water becomes an issue they could squirt.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • hvacfreak2
    Options
    Thanks Bob , I see that they vent more than a Hoffman 75 , lol. I'm running pretty low pressure and these radiators are on the 2nd floor so I don't expect any condensate beyond what is produced in each radiator to be involved regarding the spitting vent scenario. I need 4 so I may just buy 1 or 2 and watch them for a week or so.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Just keep them set at the low range because convectors can produce a not of condensate.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • hvacfreak2
    Options
    Ok , so I purchased 2 from a place that I should not have. They sent angled valves instead of the straight ones . So I'm snowed in for awhile so I figured I need something to do any way.

I have 2 specific radiators on the first floor that really need to perform ( one is the first on one main and the other is at the end of another ). I replaced the 1-A vents with Gorton D on these 2 this year and that made a huge difference. I have noticed that the D vents do not get hot , meaning that they close sooner than they " could ". I notice that on the mains as well , H75's and G2's on the same vent tree the 75's are hot and the G2's are ambient.

Anyway I replaced the D vents with the Heat Timer and set them just shy of the halfway mark and holy smoke man what a huge difference. I'm only about 12 hours or so living with these but so far I can say that they stand a good chance of staying where they are.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Easyio FG20 Controller

• Daniel_3
    Daniel_3 Member Posts: 543
    Options
    I had trouble with many of mine about 7 years ago. Since then? Not a problem at all and they all are 1/4 to 3/4's open. So far I'm happy with the reliability of them. I have them mixed with Vent-Rite's.