Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can't break old steam fitting connection, ideas?

TXBDan
TXBDan Member Posts: 28
edited January 2016 in Strictly Steam
Hi all,

I'm plumbing a radiator and need to remove an old (100yrs) 1.25" pipe from a fitting. I must keep the fitting intact.

So far i've tried PB Blaster and a propane torch and still can't get it off hanging my 220lbs off a 24" pipe wrench. I'm not sure i can apply too much more weight to it without counter-torquing it because i'm applying some stress to the rest of the pipe system.

I was able to shatter a fitting previously, is there a way to shatter the pipe itself so i can free it from a fitting? Can it be cutout without damaging the fitting threads? Any other ideas?

Thanks a lot,
Dan

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    If you have good access to it, you can cut the pipe off just above the fitting (1/4" or so) and then take a hacksaw blade and make two vertical cuts in the pipe, inside the fitting about a 1/4" apart, . Cut through just till you get to the fitting threads. Do not cut the fitting threads. AAke a punch and tap on that 1/4" piece and it will pop out. After that, the rest of the pipe will turn out.
    TXBDan
  • TXBDan
    Ok, that might be my next plan. I do have good access to it.

i hammered the pipe until its flatish on one side. At least it knows i'm mad at it.

Thanks
  • TXBDan
    Got it off using the method above. some sawzall, some chisel, some hammer. done.

Thanks all