Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hardwired communicating CO detectors and locations

ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,122
edited January 2016 in THE MAIN WALL
I have hardwired smoke detectors in my house and recently decided to switch over to combination smoke / CO detectors (first alert sc9120b) which also interface with the smoke only units (9120b).

Everything I see says not to put a CO detector in the mechanical room. I have a detector down in the basement maybe 3 feet from the boiler and would like a smoke / CO detector there, but am curious why everything says not to do it?

If these units are only triggered by extremely high levels of CO, what's the concern?

I have a powervented Braford White 50gal water heater and a WM EG-40 boiler with drafthood. I realize the boiler may spill some on startup but I'd hope it's never enough to trip a cheap CO detector?

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• captainco
    captainco Member Posts: 796
    I see no problem with putting a UL Alarm in the mechanical room other than you may not hear it upstairs in the bedrooms when sleeping at night. Based on the fact that they won't go off until CO is above 70ppm for at least an hour this shouldn't cause a nuisance but rather a serious concern.

CO over 70ppm in the mechanical room is not caused by a momentary spillage but a substantial extended spillage. The fact that there is a boiler and water heater there is no ductwork to draw the CO out of the area quickly so it should give the most immediate warning. If interlocked with other alarms then this would be one of the best locations other than the sleeping areas.
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,122
    captainco said:

I see no problem with putting a UL Alarm in the mechanical room other than you may not hear it upstairs in the bedrooms when sleeping at night. Based on the fact that they won't go off until CO is above 70ppm for at least an hour this shouldn't cause a nuisance but rather a serious concern.

CO over 70ppm in the mechanical room is not caused by a momentary spillage but a substantial extended spillage. The fact that there is a boiler and water heater there is no ductwork to draw the CO out of the area quickly so it should give the most immediate warning. If interlocked with other alarms then this would be one of the best locations other than the sleeping areas.

That's exactly how it would be setup. All of the alarms are hardwired and networked.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment