Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Boiler/Tankless Hot Water Combination Unit?

My wife and I are empty-nesters in the Buffalo, NY area residing in a 90 yr old 2 1/2 story home (2500 sq ') with a boiler/radiant heat system. Looking to replace the 20+yr old natural gas boiler (75% efficiency) and 12+ yr old natural gas hot water tank. A new high efficiency boiler and tankless hot water combination floor unit has been recommended during a recent professional energy audit (along with extensive closed-cell foam insulation in the house - another story). It is my understanding that this combo technology is relatively new and I am struggling (am a "trust, but verify" kind of guy) with trying to determine the best, most efficient and proven units/models and dependable manufacturers (read warranties and service) with the best track records. Internet research has raised more questions than answers (and few people write "good" reviews on products, which adds to skepticism). HTP (their EFT Combi unit) and Laars are a couple of names recommended. Can anyone help me? I don't want to make an expensive mistake!

Comments

• Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    HTP EFT140F has a pretty generous DHW tank within and is one of the few acceptable combis I have seen . We have installed several for folks who had to have a combi and could not be deterred from such a decision . None have given any problems and most are trying to make it produce cold water . The heat load and calc are warranted . In Buffalo it may not be grossly oversized and run in a nice place for a substantial part of the heating season .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833