Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Stainless steel chimney require a ground

Geraldo
Geraldo Member Posts: 16
I know if you install a tv antenna or other things they need a seperate ground. The chimney is mounted but I don't see any ground.

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    A metal duct running from the highest point on the roof (or nearly so) to the basement should definitely be bonded -- preferably to the service entrance grounding electrode system, but at least to an existing metal water pipe or other buried metallic items.

A separate ground rod can be used, but it must be bonded to the electrical service grounding electrode system. While you're at it, go ahead and bond your gas or oil pipe(s) too.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    I've been trying to figure out if my aluminum siding should be bonded and so far all I've found is, no. And that amazes me.

Not for lightning reasons, but if you had something that somehow shorted to the siding, it'd all, or mostly all be hot.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Technically it should be bonded, but it's not all that easy to bond the backside of a thin piece of sheet metal without a bunch of ugly screw heads showing through. On new construction we install at least one metal stud or a vertical metal channel on each wall, then bond the bottoms of those to something suitable. Screwing the siding into the vertical metal piece ties everything together electrically. Done right, you end up with a moderately decent Faraday cage.