Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New steam radiator too high for valve

Options
Hello - I have an old steam radiator that is leaking from underneath. I am trying to replace it with a newer steam radiator that I got from a different house. Unfortunately the value in the floor is slightly lower than where it should connect on the new radiator as shown in the picture. Any suggestions? I couldn't get the pipe to lift up from the floor - no give. Should I try to unscrew the valve from the floor a couple threads or is there another way I can get this to work? This is a single pipe steam system.

Thank you!

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    First the valve and spud are a matched set, you can't connect on rad to another rads valve and have them seal. You will either need the valve from the "new" rad or the spud from the old rad or a entirely new valve and spud. That being said sometimes you can just pull up a bit on the valve and there is enough "slack" to make the connection. If that doesn't work you can remove the valve and use and extension piece on the pipe to get the valve up higher. If that doesn't work you can use a couple of 45° elbows on the radiator outlet to offset slightly down then install the spud into them and make the connection.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    steamheatnewbCharlie from wmass
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    Is there no way to fix the leak?
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • steamheatnewb
    steamheatnewb Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Thank you @KC_Jones !! I am a little confused by the option with the 45 degree elbows - how does the spud fit in with the elbows? I might be thinking of a different configuration...
    KC_Jones said:

First the valve and spud are a matched set, you can't connect on rad to another rads valve and have them seal. You will either need the valve from the "new" rad or the spud from the old rad or a entirely new valve and spud. That being said sometimes you can just pull up a bit on the valve and there is enough "slack" to make the connection. If that doesn't work you can remove the valve and use and extension piece on the pipe to get the valve up higher. If that doesn't work you can use a couple of 45° elbows on the radiator outlet to offset slightly down then install the spud into them and make the connection.

• KC_Jones
    Options
    Short nipple into the radiator, 45° elbow, close nipple, another elbow then the spud. The 2 45's allow for a slight offset in the vertical direction. The only "problem" would be the need to move the rad closer or further from the wall. Others may have other ideas.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    Other options, trim the legs of the radiator or install a extension on the riser and raise the entire raidiator up. The other and probably most difficult would be to remove the nipple coming up from the floor and replace with a nipple about 1/2" shorter
    jonny88
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options

Other options, trim the legs of the radiator or install a extension on the riser and raise the entire raidiator up. The other and probably most difficult would be to remove the nipple coming up from the floor and replace with a nipple about 1/2" shorter

1/2" longer :)
  • steamheatnewb
    Options

@Abracadabra what is the nipple coming up from the floor?

Is something like this your extension option if it was straight: http://www.supplyhouse.com/Jinan-J-BLXP-10-1-Black-Extension-Piece

Thank you!
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    Yes that's the extender. It might not get it perfect, but if it gets you equal or higher you are golden. If it's higher you can shim the feet with a few quaters or as I do sliced of hardwood dowel.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    edited January 2016
    Options

@Abracadabra what is the nipple coming up from the floor?

I don't understand.. The nipple is the piece that comes up thru the floor... the pipe.. Is that what you're asking?

Is something like this your extension option if it was straight: http://www.supplyhouse.com/Jinan-J-BLXP-10-1-Black-Extension-Piece

Thank you!

Yes
  • steamheatnewb
    Options
    This is resolved :) used an extender and it all fit together nicely. Thank you everyone for the help!