Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Flooded boiler

Options
KCA_2
KCA_2 Member Posts: 308
Hello all!

I have a steam boiler, about 800k BTU's, with minimal piping.... maybe 60 feet of Steam plus the return....

PH is about 11, however when I boil it on the stove I don't get any foaming... just a rapid boil.... the system runs fine and then all of a sudden water starts rising in the site glass.... circulator isn't on...

The system has been in for about 2 1/2 years.... never a problem until two weeks ago....

Any ideas guys?
Condensate pump tied to the LWCO.... unless the pump is coming on when I'm not there and flooding the boiler .....

:-)) KCA
:-) Ken

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,068
    Options
    By the term "circulator" do you mean condensate pump? Then if that pump is controlled by the LWCO on the boiler it is called a boiler feeder pump. Will the water rise without you hearing that pump run? You could maybe also have an auto feeder triggered by a LWCO probe, this you would not hear if boiler was running.

Does all condensate return go to the pump? Any F&T traps?
  • KCA_2
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Yes.... all condensate returns to a tank and fed by the pump.... there are a few traps but all are working fine... I'm stumped.... the boiler was flooding every night after close at 2:00am but before opening at 7:30am....
    No side arms or possibility of domestic water getting into the boiler....
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    Is this a one-pipe or two-pipe system?
    My guess is a plugged pigtail under the pressuretrol, which is allowing the pressure to increase, and push all the water out of the boiler-temporarily. This triggers the overfilling situation.--NBC
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,296
    Options
    Has the boiler been serviced recently? If so was the pigtail cleaned out as NBC is referring to that it could be clogged which can cause pressure to spike which in then pushing all the water out of the boiler
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • KCA_2
    Options
    I spent yesterday Cleaning the Skimming & Cleaning the boiler.... I checked the Pressuretrol pigtails.... Seemed clear.... I needed to replace the gauge though....
    So the boiler seems to be running well now.... Just some surge in the site glass... How much surge is normal? I have about an inch or so........ Water is pretty clear though and pH is about 7.5....
    Thanks for everyones input and I very much appreciate it...
    :-))