Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Radiator Vent

Options
I replaced my old Maid-o-Mist steam radiator vent with an identical Maid-o-Mist Jacobus "D" circular-style vent. I cannot turn it enough to completely tighten it into the radiator and have the vent pointed upwards. Any suggestions?

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,742
    edited January 2016
    Options
    How loose is it? Did it bottom out or not enough turns?

Add another wrap or two of PTFE tape to it and see if you can get it to snug up in the right spot. It doesn't need to be crazy tight.

EDIT : On second thought, wasn't there something about the threads on MOM vents being wrong?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    edited January 2016
    Options
    A couple of years back there was a batch of them that appeared to have straight threads instead of tapered threads. I bought 4 vents and had to run a 1/8 NPT die over them to get them to fit my radiators.

Don't force it or you might crack the radiator casting.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

Add another wrap or two of PTFE tape to it and see if you can get it to snug up in the right spot. It doesn't need to be crazy tight.

This. If the valve takes 3-4 turns you're good. You don't need to hold back more pressure than 1.5 psi, if that.

• tag73
    tag73 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    It was the threads. Bought another one at a different store and had no problem. Thanks for the insight here.
    ChrisJ