Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Residential VRF system vs traditional damper system

Options
aschwa
aschwa Member Posts: 24
Hi all.

I'm doing a whole-house remodel in the SF Bay Area, 4000 sqft. I've spoken to an HVAC contractor who wants to install a Mitsubishi VRF system, 5 or 6 separate zones (one zone per bedroom).

The system is expensive, but we're willing to pay for a premium system if the comfort level makes it worthwhile. Having bedrooms be individually zoned with dedicated returns seems like it solves a lot of the problems with damper systems.

How much better is a VRF system than a modern damper-based variable-equipment system from a traditional manufacturer? (Carrier Infinity, Lennox Ultimate Comfort, Trane, etc.)

I like the idea of very stable temperatures, minimal noise and having individualized temperature settings.

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    What is in the home now for a heating system?
  • hvacfreak2
    hvacfreak2 Member Posts: 500
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I have installed plenty of both but I have never lived with a vrf system. I did install 2 residential Mitsu. a couple of years ago but I did not like the way that the job was selected and a some other things so I did the start up and hauled ash outta there.

I am not a fan of wall hung units , but you know vrv / vrf does not mean ceiling cassettes and wall hung units as all of them offer ducted air handlers upwards of 8 tons. So with that being said , for my preferences I feel that a ducted vrf system along with a floor console here and there would be my dream ac system. And I am also a fan of multiple returns as you mentioned.

So like everything else that is talked about on here it comes down to the installing contractor. His work will ultimately determine the success or not of the system. So , in my case could I install a Carrier Infinity and a mini split and achieve the desired results , absolutely. Could I have those on the same control network along with diagnostic features and control it from my phone , nope. But beware , to use the cool stuff on the vrf stuff will set you back a lot of money.

So , if you have multiple rooms that require different temperatures there is no doubt that the Mitsubishi would be the way to go. If you just want a comfortable house anything on the market can do that with a quality install. I have installed all of major brands of vrf / vrv , but I recently did a large Samsung system and was blown away by the performance. I also attended a Toshiba class recently and the controls on these look phenomenal . So there is a lot of stuff out there , good luck with your project.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

• hvacfreak2
    hvacfreak2 Member Posts: 500
    Options
    I was also thinking about how these have really small ducted fan coil units available , each room could have it's own. There would not be any airflow issues there. Anything to avoid a wall hung unit , good grief I do not like those.

Check out mylinkdrive.com for the Mitsubishi product line , S Series is the residential product line.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller