Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler choice

Options
So, when you go to a job and the old Laars or Hydrotherm or ARCO or whatever boiler that has lasted 20-30 years has given up the ghost, what is your go-to boiler?? We're talking high temperature - cast iron radiators.
8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Heatloss is around 110K BTU from what I can tell.

Design day average water temperature? 170°F

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,218
    Options
    Sounds like a nice cast iron boiler would work, if they want another 20- 30 trouble-free boiler. Something with sealed combustion for outside air.
    Does it have a B-vent in good condition?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    Triangle Tube.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Triangle Tube as well -- primarily because of the distribution support we have.
  • NYplumber
    NYplumber Member Posts: 503
    Options
    Hey Alan. If i recall you have installed a few viessmann boilers. How about the new CU3A? They have one in a size close to that heat loss. Its pretty high mass and is rated for higher temps then the average mod con. It also doesnt have flow requirements. It is essentially a modern day version of a cast iron boiler.

You could always go with a standard cast iron boiler from any of the big manufacturers out there. If you choose this route, get something without proprietary controls to keep repair costs down.
    :NYplumber:
  • Chester
    Chester Member Posts: 83
    Options

So, when you go to a job and the old Laars or Hydrotherm or ARCO or whatever boiler that has lasted 20-30 years has given up the ghost, what is your go-to boiler?? We're talking high temperature - cast iron radiators.

"high temperature cast iron radiators" --

I assume from your username you might mean 'hi temp' relative to radiant, and just wanted to point out that cast iron is effective and comfortable at pretty low water temps, making it an ideal candidate for a modcon.

I'm in the northeast and have been keeping my house toasty this winter with 100-110F supply water even down into the mid-20's. The math says I have enough radiator capacity to keep the house at 70F on my design day (4F) with boiler supply at 130F.

The question is how much EDR of radiation do you have relative to heat loss. What kind of building and how big? Older homes are typically over-radiated, especially if they've subsequently been tightened up.

Also, what's the basis for the heat loss? A 110k heat loss is more than double, maybe even triple, the heat loss of an average residence here in New England. For example, my reasonably well insulated 1,400 sq ft cape built in 1940 has a 25K Btu/hr heat loss at 4F outside temp.
    HatterasguyRich_49
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Options
    Alan,

Rads all getting thermostatics? How is it going to be piped? Constant circulation or zoned out?

Most important questions is where is the budget and what is the homeowners expectation for the system?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Options
    You can't get cast iron boilers in California anymore. And Mo: My Viessmann wholesaler doesn't stock the CU3A yet.

• Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    I'm partial to the Lochinvar WHN. It's been a trouble-free product for me and the support, locally, is very good.

Easy control to navigate, set up to handle 3 different SWT's.

There's a couple things on it that I would like to see changed but they're minor, not game changers.
    Steve Minnich
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Doesn't Viessmann top out at like 160* supply?
  • NYplumber
    NYplumber Member Posts: 503
    Options
    @Paul48 not on all units.
    :NYplumber:
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,218
    Options

I'm partial to the Lochinvar WHN. It's been a trouble-free product for me and the support, locally, is very good.

Easy control to navigate, set up to handle 3 different SWT's.

There's a couple things on it that I would like to see changed but they're minor, not game changers.

Copper tube an option in California? Lochinvar still offers them, Copper is still by far the best heat conductor. I'm not sure what controls are on their copper offerings.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    edited December 2015
    Options
    With all that mass of iron and water, full ODR is really helpful. By the time you add it to a copperfin, it's usually cheaper IME to just buy the mod/con. With a fire-tube, the piping is pretty much bolt up and go.

One of my few beefs with the Lochinvar WH design is that they direct-couple the intake pipe to the fan. This does not play well with leaves and dust.
    Options
    So, that was a general question, but I had this current job in mind. I just visited the house this afternoon in SF. I was referred by a friend and the owners and I had been communicating by text. I spent most of the time on the road. It's our first big rainstorm and traffic was miserable.

This Mighty Therm 125K BTU boiler served radiators before starting to leak. I'd go with a condensing boiler, but there's no way to get piping out of the bunker boiler room. The easiest thing to do is to install another non-condensing, atmospheric boiler and connect it up to the existing flue. I feel so cheap.

Options
    By the way, check out that B & G circulator. It's not a series 100, but a HV (high volume). Can you see how the motor mount is sagging? It's toast.