Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gargling water sound in radiator

Options
In our one pipe steam system, one of our radiators makes a loud gargling noise during the condensate cycle (loud enough to wake us up at night). The noise can be heard in the room with the radiator for five or ten minutes.

I initially thought the issue was related to the air vent, because the radiator also did not heat up fully. However, I cleaned the vent and, while the radiator now heats fully, the gargling noise remains. FWIW, the vent is an older varivalve, and it whistles some. Ideally I'd replace it, but there's some issue with the threading on the radiator and right now this valve is molded to the old threading. I'm sure I'll have to re-thread the radiator and install a new valve in the future, but I'd rather avoid that for now unless it has to be done.

Next, I thought the issue might be with the valve. But the valve appears to be relatively new (we just bought the house a few months ago, and most of the valves appear to have been updated by the previous owner). I've made sure the valve is open all of the way, so I don't think that's the issue.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

Comments

• Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Options
    Gurgling sounds in a one pipe radiator are typical when a valve is partly closed and causes water to be retained in the radiator. If you are certain that the valve is fully open, then perhaps there might be an issue with the pitch of the pipe that feeds the radiator, causing it to retain water. However, in that case, there is usually water hammer too. It would help to have some pictures of your new valve, the radiator, etc.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    In addition to what @Dave in QCA said, try installing a slower vent.
    Dave in QCA
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Make sure the radiator is slightly pitched back towards the supply valve. Water has to be able to run out of the radiator. You can use a couple quarters or checkers unter the feet of the radiator, opposite the valve side. Also, make sure you pressure is set to .5 PSI in and the Differential is no more than "1" so that you have a cut-out of 1.5 PSI max. Make sure the Pigtail (looped pipe that the Pressuretrol is mounted on) is not clogged. Take it off and wash it out. If clogged, the system pressure may be higher than your Pressuretrol settings. Also, If that radiator is at the end of a main with a drip leg on it, I have seen high pressure keep water from falling into the drip leg and gurggling in that area of the main, below the radiator.
  • MikeJC
    MikeJC Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I don't think the issue is the valve or the pressure -- the pressuretrol is set all the way down, and the boiler is new so I can't imagine that the pigtail is clogged.

I used a level today to test pitch. It seems like the radiator is pitched back to the valve, but it also seems to be pitched a little to one side (towards the wall). Could that be the problem? If so, I will try to shim the feet on the wall side to level things out.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    It could be holding a little water on that side or in a corner.
  • Ant1
    Ant1 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Seems like someone may have replaced the valve with one for a hot water system not knowing that there are different valves for steam and hot water radiators
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    MikeJC said:

Thanks, everyone. I don't think the issue is the valve or the pressure -- the pressuretrol is set all the way down, and the boiler is new so I can't imagine that the pigtail is clogged.

How do you know? Did you remove the radiator to check the valve and make sure it's operating properly?