Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ask TOH

Few weeks ago Richard went out to a guy's house. Steam boiler losing water. His dealer's solution was add an automatic fill. After checking everything else, Richard pulled the top off and found a 1.5" diameter hole in the top of the heat exchanger. Looked like about a 15 year old boiler. How common is that? What would cause such a hole, all exposed piping, no buried wet return so probably not leaking taking on fresh water.

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,489
    It happens more than it should, what kind of boiler was it?. Do you know if there are any water quality problems in the area, chlorides will kill cast iron as will any fumes from some kinds of cleaners and solvents stored near the boiler.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,756
    I saw that episode. I would guess the same as Bob, but also add lack of proper maintenance. The "pro" solving the water usage by adding an auto feeder shows a HUGE lack of knowledge. Also it took Richard about 10 seconds to find that hole that had been there for how long? The hole was under the flue connection which would be removed on yearly maintenance since this was an oil boiler that should have been serviced. So either the homeowner wasn't having it serviced or the service company was doing a crappy job. Either way I think maintenance was a factor on that one.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,489
    i don't think Richard is a steam guy, he usually just touts the latest and greatest when we know the most reliable system is a gas boiler with a millivolt system. It's not the most efficient but when you factor in the lack of required maintenance, it looks pretty good.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,579
    Here's my take on this.
    Retired and loving it.
    4Johnpipe