Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Massive amount of steam venting from vari-valve

Bought an old house and absolutely love the comfort and warmth our steam heat provides, but it has been non-stop issues from day one (cracked radiator that the inspector missed, replaced about 40 feet of piping, replaced a water feed mechanism on the boiler, etc.).

Anyway...about one week ago replacement of about 20 feet of pipe (due to a leak) leading from the boiler was completed. Since then (not sure they are related), one of the radiators coming off of an entirely different section of pipe has been venting a TON of steam from its vari-valve when the heat is on. Basically, heat comes on, radiators start warming up, and then this radiator (first on the line on its side of the house) starts spewing heat from the valve until shortly after the heat turns off. I'm definitely new to this so I've only tried (i) shutting off that radiator entirely and (ii) closing the vari-valve. Neither provided relief. This vari-valve was just replaced 4-5 weeks ago.

My service provider is coming out to look at it but I'm not sure they'll be able to make it out in short order. Given that it's getting cold out, I'd love to be able to use my heat without this result. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to what this could be?

I've gotten fed up enough with these problems that I've ordered some of the books recommended here and else where to get more educated but that won't help much for now. Any ideas are much appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• hboogz
    hboogz Member Posts: 113
    edited December 2015
    I'm not a steam pro, but I've had my share of bad radiator vents. I just recently had to return a brand new Gorton #5 because it was spewing steam and it turned the room into a sauna.

It sounds like there a lot of things to check on your system, but to start, try replacing those varivalves with either Gorton's or Hoffman radiator vents. Also, make sure the pressuretrol (should you have one) be set for a total of no more than 2psi.

I highly doubt the replacement pipe has anything to do with this specific problem.

Good Luck,

Harry.
  • rbroedlin
    rbroedlin Member Posts: 7
    Thanks! I'll try that. When you say "it sounds like there are a lot of things to check on your system" was that just a reaction to my comment regarding the numerous issues we've had, or are you thinking there are more issues?
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,756
    What pressure is your system running at? The pressurtrol should basically be set as low as it will go. High pressure can cause the situation you describe, it can also destroy brand new vents. Also make sure the pig tail under the pressurtrol is clean so it is getting accurate pressure. We generally also recommend adding a good low pressure gauge 0-3 PSI max so you can actually see what is going on. The 0-30 PSI gauge is basically useless. Also post some pictures of your boiler and piping so we can make sure you don't have something else going on. I should also add turning the rad off at the valve is generally a bad idea as the valves don't usually work and can cause more problems than they solve. If you want temporary relief usually you can turn the vent upside down and that effectively turns the radiator off until you can fix the issue.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • hboogz
    hboogz Member Posts: 113
    Yeah. Just based on the amount of work you've seemingly had to have done and the numerous issues you've had. A lot of times, in my case, the people hired to do work on steam systems don't have enough true experience with steam. YMMV
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,099
    Please share some pictures of the system. The piping around and above the boiler and the radiators as well.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • rbroedlin
    Thanks, all. At work currently but will post some pictures as soon as I can. Will also check the pressure first thing.
    ChrisJ
  • rbroedlin
    First round of pics. Pressurtrol reads slightly above 2 but I can't seem to adjust it down unless I perhaps used a tool. New to this so not sure whether to force it down. Ran the heat again when I got home and just an insane amount of steam coming out of the vari-valve. It seems clear that needs to be replaced but again, just replaced it within the last few weeks so I'm thinking there is a bigger issue causing the failure of the varivalve. More pictures to come.
  • rbroedlin
    More pictures. Apologies for low quality. Happy to take more if there is something else that needs to be seen.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,489
    The pressure is set too high. Set the cut in as low as it will go and then take off that front cover and make sure the white wheel is set as low as it will go.

Also Sunrad's don't usually need super fast venting, you might want to consider a slower vent.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • rbroedlin
    Bob,

Thanks for the advice! How can I go about safely lowering the pressure when I can't get it to budge by bare hand?
  • KC_Jones
    There is a screw on top of that gray box that moves the indicator up and down. Turn the screw until it goes basically all the way down. Also take the cover off and check the setting on the inside. The white wheel inside should be set to 1. Should be easy to do since someone forgot to put the screw back in your cover.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • There is a screw on the top which moves the pointer.
    A low-pressure gauge (0-3 psi) would verify the settings you are making, as they will not show up on the 0-30 psi gauge you have now.--NBC
  • KC_Jones
    Do you know what the main venting is like on your system? I suspect it's not adequate and that's why someone installed that huge varivalve.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • rbroedlin
    I was able to get the varivalve to stop venting steam for a while by cleaning it, but then it happened again this morning. Also was able to get the pressure down to the recommended setting above. In doing this I noticed that the valves were in the off position for several radiators and when turned on had non insubstantial leaks so another item to address on the list.

Thanks again everyone for all of the advice given. I finally have my heating guy coming out today and this discussion and site in general have given me a lot of points to raise with him (i.e., am I using correct valves, is pressure correct, are my radiators pitched properly, why is the level in my sight glass low, etc.).