Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

SLANT FIN COMPANY

Options
Stet
Stet Member Posts: 38
You find out what companies are best when the worst goes wrong. I have been installing Slant Fin products since the 70's. The most recent, the CHS series high efficiency gas boilers. I have installed several of these. Never a problem, UNTIL!. Can you believe this, my own boiler, Saturday, February, snow storm! The worst of the worst.

No ignition, with an error code not in the book. So I call Factory rep, Jim. He tells me, " give me 15 minutes, I'll call you back." Ten minutes later, I get a call from BIll, another service rep. I tell him the circumstances. Either a control board or a sensor. "Where do you live", he asks. I give him my address. Two hours later, he arrives at my house in a blinding snow storm to deliver a control and sensor. Luckily, a sensor. Five minute job.

I had this happen one other time at another place a couple of years later. Same thing. Two hours later, the part was at my door.

This is why I install Slant Fin products. Any product can have a glitch once in a while. It's factory service that counts. And I have never dealt with a better company in my 40 years in business.

Thanks, John, Jim, and Bill for always going above and beyond.

**** Stetson
Rich_49ChrisJTim Potterrick in Alaska4JohnpipeSWEIJean-David Beyer

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Yes it's not about the falling diwn-It's all about how you get up!--NBC
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Some companies subscribe to services such as:
    http://www.reputation.com
    If US Boiler does, I wonder what they think, when notified.
    Maybe they pass it off as unfair bashing from the public.
    Car, and equipment dealerships recognize the importance of good repair departments, and good tech support is equally important.--NBC
    Jean-David Beyer
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm not surprised. I just know SF was a dream to deal with in my install. Everyone was so nice, professional and knowledgeable. NO condescension. That's why when I made my choice for a boiler I went with them. Of course, they have a wonderful product, but so do others.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    It's nice to actually hear some good news concerning manufacturers once and awhile on the net. We all have our preferences and Slant Fin is a great product, and it is even better to know they stand behind what they engineer and manufacturer.

SFM
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    SF is a stand out when it comes to standing behind there products! We had a post, here, last winter of a SF boiler that, at first appeared to be a leaky HW coil gasket. It turned out to be a small hole in the block. The boiler was several years old and when the HO called them about the issue, they had a new boiler block at their door in about a week. There are those who say use the boiler that your local installer wants to install but I think there is a lot to be said for using a boiler from a manufacturer that has a proven track record when it comes to standing behind their products! That's what makes the good ones more successful and the bad ones eventually fade away.
  • Fred
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Maybe they aren't as bad as your experience has been with them??? Maybe they will eventually fade away or sell out??? Maybe too many HO go with whatever their local installer wants to install, and he knows he'll be back to repair/replace it soon enough. You know the old saying: "The last experience is the one that's usually remembered"
  • Fred
    Options
    Unfortunately, that can be said of most of the boiler manufacturers. That's what seems to make SF stand out in the industry.
  • Fred
    Options
    I know they are currently probably one of the largest in the market but I can't say what the trends might indicate. Hey, You're the one who coined the phrase "It's a race to the bottom" BTW, I haven't heard you say that in a while.
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Options
    With a monopoly like Nat Grid offering US boilers with incentives is it any wonder why they haven't faded away.No competition wins every time.Don't know how they have exclusive rights with Grid but it sure is a big market.
    Rich_49SWEIRobert O'Brien