Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

How to Bleed a Boiler

reghireghi Posts: 17Member
I have a gas boiler with 2 zones, 2 circulator pumps and 2 relays. See attached diagram

When I bleed the system this is what I basically do. I turn all the shut-off valves off, except for line going out to the baseboards of the zone I am going to bleed, disengage the fill valve pressure regulator and then I open the drain petcock above the circulator pump and let it run for about a minute or two and then repeat for the second zone. However, when I do the above the tridicator gauge shows 0 psi pressure.

Is the way I am bleeding the system correct?

Comments

• unclejohnunclejohn Posts: 1,420Member
    edited December 2015
    You most likely need to open one of the valves by the pump. I don't know where your fill valve is or your bleed drain. Can you show them on the drawing. Ok I see your drain I thought it was the gauge. What do you mean by disengage the fill valve? You need to open the fill valve when you bleed.
  • reghireghi Posts: 17Member
    I open the fill valve, however, the water is not coming in fast enough and I I lose pressure.

I am thinking that the fill valve is no good. I will call bell and gossett tomorrow and see if I can adjust the valve (its an FB-38)
  • unclejohnunclejohn Posts: 1,420Member
    Your better off just replacing it. replace the backflow while your at it.
  • reghireghi Posts: 17Member
    Called Bell and Gossett tech department and they told me that the fill valve might be clogged. I will check the strainer this weekend and hopefully this solves it. According to B&G it is very rare for the fill valve to fail.