Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Professional Qualification Standard is ANSI recognized.

Options
Mark Eatherton
Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
http://contractormag.com/codes/asseiapmoansi-series-19000-2015-now-available

The RPA and its many participating members have been working with the ASSE International group in developing the standards. We are currently developing the test questions that will be used to allow qualified individuals to test for this prestigious certification. I'd like to thank all of the volunteers who have spent a lot of personal time in putting this program together. As the late great Gil Carlson was so fond of saying, "In order for there to be a difference, you must MAKE a difference." The RPA and its members are doing just that. Making a difference.

The certifcation program can allow local AHJ's the potential to use this certifcation as a minimum requirement in order to receive licensure to install, maintain and repair hydronic heating and cooling systems in their jurisdiction. We have an educational program ready to assist in the training requirements, as well as a structure to test and certify qualified people.

Join us, won't you!

www.radiantpros.org and click on JOIN.

Thank you to the Holohan family for their ongoing support of this excellent organization.

ME
It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
SWEI

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    Thanks for all your hard work for all of us, Mark. Everyone should join.
    Retired and loving it.
    Mark Eatherton
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    Options
    I hope it all works out Mark. I'd be curious to see some sample questions.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    Xmytruck
  • Mark Eatherton
    Options
    Gary, you will have to sign up for the test to see the questions. I can tell you that they are tough, and require a lot of studying about ALL aspects of hydronics and radiant.

We hope to turn our first class around April of 2016. Lot's of additional work to do between then and now.

Please join, we could use your help and talent.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    I got NATE certified in Hydronics some time ago and the test was really easy. I had to in order to do work for a certain non-profit in Chicago. It took about 15 minutes to take the test and 2 months to get the results.
    Steve Minnich
  • Mark Eatherton
    Options
    Nothing against NATE, they have and will continue to serve a purpose well. I have seen their tests, and they are more service oriented. I think there is room for both certifications.

We ran the test by some seasoned veterans, and the highest score achieved was an 87% by someone I consider a very well trained person. The average was an 80%, and passing is 75%, so as you can see, it is a tough test that will require a minimum of 24 hours of pre-requisite classes before a person can sit for the test. The test group took the test without the benefit of immediate advanced training.

There are code questions in there, and as most everyone knows, it is a USEHC (Uniform Solar Energy Hydronics Code) based organization, so it would be wise to bone up on the new code, which by the way is available in a read only version on line if you'd like to see it. Contact me and I will provide the URL. mark.eatherton@radiantpros.org

And that is another huge accomplishment of the RPA. We actually have a hydronics/radiant code! Granted, like all codes, it addresses the minimums, but that is about 1,000% better than what we've had for the last 22 years, which is no code (other than backflow and other mechanical requirements) at all.

Any code is only as good as the enforcement in the field, and we are already training the inspectors who will be reviewing the installations so that they are not intimidated by some of the mechanical marvels popping up in mechanical rooms across this country. We will eventually have a "Certified Hydronics Inspector" certificate available to the inspecting authority.

ME
    Hilly
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    I'll bet this is going to make a lot of peoples wonder if they have what it takes.
    Retired and loving it.
    Canucker4Johnpipe
  • Tinman
    Options
    Any chance the radiant cooling portion can be a separate test? :smiley: Seriously. Can I see a show of hands of people who have designed/installed a radiant cooling system.
    Steve Minnich
    jonny88
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    I love a good challenge.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Tinman
    Options
    Me too. I'll be ready come April.
    Steve Minnich
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Tough guy. Love it.
    Retired and loving it.
    Tinman
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    That's peaked my interest!

I joined the RPA in 1995 and paid my dues every year. I went to many of the RPA conventions where I learned a lot and also met up with many of the professionals that I knew from heatinghelp. I also met this guy; he was a simple hot water plumber, roaming the plains of Colorado looking for potatoes; Mark Eatherton.

He came over to our house for dinner the last time he was in town; Loretta, Mark and I talked late into the night about all things hydronic. Since he's in charge of the RPA, I was hoping that he would get me a gratis membership, but I got tired of waiting and just joined. Looking forward to a long relationship!

Thanks for all you do, Mark!

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    TinmanSWEI
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    I got back in when Mark took charge. I believe in him and all that he's done, and all that he's doing.

This really is for serious people who want to get important things done. Finally.

That test is not for weaklings.
    Retired and loving it.
    4JohnpipeSWEI
  • Mark Eatherton
    Options
    Thank you both for your support, and Alan, thanks again for dinner. I enjoyed it immensely, and owe you one in return, in COLORADO :-)
  • GW
    Options
    Mark, i tried to re-join, rpa system tells me my email already has an acct. let me know, happy to be apart of the top crowd
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Love it!
    Retired and loving it.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Options
    GW said:

Mark, i tried to re-join, rpa system tells me my email already has an acct. let me know, happy to be apart of the top crowd

Gary, send me your contact information and I will have our manager of membership (Alan Wald) contact you directly to get you back onboard. Thank you for rejoining. We appreciate your support. We need everyones support. Of the members, by the members, for the members with all members benefitting.

mark.eatherton@radiantpros.org

• Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    When's this test and training materials available? I wouldn't mind sharpening my skills through these winter months.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Options
    Harv, the training materials have been and are available for the most part at the RPA book store in the e-Books. Radiant 1, 2 and Radiant Precision. The Radiant Basics course is a condensed version of Rad 1 and 2. The code (USEHC) is also available in a read only format, and if you will drop me a line, I will send you the link. We are still working on the test and fine tuning it, and even when it is done, we can't show it to anyone for obvious reasons. I can tel you that we had what I consider 3 well versed, experienced contractors who took the test, and hi score was an 85, and low score was a 77. It is a tough, general knowledge test on hydronics and radiant heating and cooling...

Thanks for your continued support.

ME
  • Tinman
    Options
    @Mark, Are the e-books the same as the Radiant Basics and Radiant Precision hard copies of the former RPA?
    Steve Minnich
  • Mark Eatherton
    Options

@Mark, Are the e-books the same as the Radiant Basics and Radiant Precision hard copies of the former RPA?

Yes Steve, they are. I am in the process of "refreshing" them, but essentially one and the same.

ME

• Tinman
    Options
    Thanks Mark
    Steve Minnich
  • GW
    Options
    Mark it bounced back
    mark.eatherton@radiantpros.org
    do you have another email? Or have your person get me at
    gary@wilsonph.com