Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

propress

Options
lchmb
lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
anyone run into any failures with the tools? Namely the jaws failing?

Comments

• GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,693
    Options
    I've had Ridgid for 10 years o think, I may have had to replace one jaw but my memory is slipping. What type of problem are you having? I do recall sending one of out small batery units in for service, and I can't remember why either.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • lchmb
    Options
    had a jaw explode today during a press...Using it on 2" fitting for black iron gas. Seem to also be having trouble with it creating a knife edge on the press. We heard that happens after a lot of use but this one's a week old...
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,693
    Options
    Ahh maybe a dud? Our mega jaws have been fine
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Options
    Never had a problem like that, I'm gonna guess you had a dud.
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Scary.I will keep my Ridgid 300 for gas work thank you.
    j a_2
  • lchmb
    Options
    hope it's the last dud we have...rather painful and we just purchased 3 kits...
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    jonny88 said:

Scary.I will keep my Ridgid 300 for gas work thank you.

I gotta say I am not at all comfortable with the gas press stuff....Black pipe that we so nicely purchase from overseas is not impressive....Never put a micrometer on it but, I would be interested to see if the outside diameter is as standard as they say....now there are fittings for steam and fittings for gas....outside reaming is as important as inside reaming, you know how that goes...I am sure it's a fine product, but just not necessary....jmo...@johnny88 yup don't give away that 300

jonny88
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Options
    @ja I was doing a install in a training centre for vets and kids coming out of rehab etc. Viega equipment.In the house we had 4 different categories of heat.The viega rep was there to show us the PP on gas for hooking up boiler.Not alone is it way over priced but parts were hard to get..It all went in fine but I promised never to use it again.I like to be able to feel the pipe make up.Maybe it is not keeping up with the times but I will def. be threading for the forseable future.
    j a_2
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    @johnny88 I have no problem with progress, ya think someone designed this stuff with plumbers in mind or there pockets in mind...nice to have but not needed to have, something's just need to left alone....at least in the little world I worked in
  • lchmb
    Options
    I can appreciate a nice threaded piping job. But in some case's I do like the idea of the propress. We were using this on a school roof, and personally I think the viega fittings will be stonger in the long run than a threaded pipe. Do I think the price is crazy on this, definately. But we needed this job done fast and 2 hours to run 175 ft of pipe is pretty impressive...til it broke anyway..
    kcopp
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    Hopefully they will cover this under warranty.
    I do know of one incident where they were using Megapress on gas on the outside of a building in Newington NH. A huge slab of ice took out the gas meter and supply off the gas entrance. The meter smashed but the press fittings still remained intact.